Spicy chicken salad recipe! What can ever go wrong with something so delicious? Chicken salad can be surprisingly healthy and nourishing with the right ingredients.
“Vegetables in a salad are the source of fiber and chicken the protein. The Bird’s Eye chilli provides heat and spiciness”.
Eating salad can decrease the intake of calories, your craving for sugar and candy. Salads are so easy to make – full of exciting colors, shapes and sizes of an array of ingredients. You can be creative by adding new elements of sweet, savory and spice to your chicken salad recipe.
More About Bird’s Eye Chilli
Bird’s Eye chilli is widely found in India. It renders explosive heat to your palate. Known as the ‘little red devil’, as the name suggests, adding this chilli into anything you cook will give it an overwhelming punch. It is grown traditionally by the farmers of Meghalaya.
Read more on Meghalaya’s Bird’s eye chili brought to you exclusively by Zizira explorers.
Ingredients for your chicken salad recipe:
- 1 cup green leafy vegetables (Lettuce, spinach, cabbage, coriander etc.).
- 1 bowl of chopped boiled French beans.
- 1 cup chopped capsicum.
- ½ cup chopped onion or chives.
- 15 pieces of dried Bird’s Eye chilli.
- 1 cup mashed potato.
- 1 cup chicken shredded.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Start by making your very own homemade mashed potato. Place the peeled potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Bring the water to boil, cover the lid and cook for 20 mins. Check if the potatoes are soft and break apart easily when pressed with a fork. Drain the water and let the potatoes cool. Mash with a potato masher until there are no lumps and the texture is smooth and soft.
- Blanch fresh green beans by taking a large saucepan of boiling water. Add the beans and cook for 4 minutes or until the beans are crisp and tender. Cut them into small pieces.
- Take another saucepan with 2 cups of water and add the chicken breast into it. Bring it to boil. Cook on medium heat; simmer until the chicken meat is no longer pink. Allow the chicken to cool, place in a bowl and shred the meat using a fork.
- Now you can add vegetables of your choice. But, for this unique chicken salad recipe, cut a handful of capsicum and onions or chives. Take a chunk of green leafy vegetables - for this you can use lettuce, spinach, cabbage and coriander - and roughly chop them.
- Take 15 pieces of bird eye chilli and cut into small pieces. You can cut it in the form of strips or shred them accordingly. *You can always reduce the number of chillies, according to your palate for spiciness and heat.
- For the dressing - mix vigorously a tablespoon of olive oil and salt.
- Toss the salad till the dressing and the ingredients are mixed well and serve fresh.