The word “Ja” in the local Khasi language means rice or food and “Stem” means yellow, hence yellow rice!
Ingredients for yellow rice:
- 500gms of rice (Note: for 3 servings)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon onion paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons Lakadong turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
Grab a copy of the unique spices of Northeast India
Preparation (required time-30 minutes):
- Take a cooking pan or a pot and pour oil into it. Heat it until warm. Add the onion paste and sauté till it turns translucent. Next, add garlic and ginger paste and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Now add the rice and stir it with the mixture and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the Lakadong turmeric powder and stir to distribute evenly throughout the rice.
- Pour about 500 ml of water into the mixture. Cover the pan and cook under medium-high heat till it comes to a boil. Turn the heat to medium and leave a small opening for steam to escape.
- Continue cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes until the water is fully absorbed.
- Check if the rice is soft. If not, you can add more water and continue cooking.
- Once the rice is done, garnish with coriander or rosemary for aroma and slices of fresh cucumber for some crunch.
Enjoy Zizira's delicious vegan yellow rice served with fried tofu toppings or crispy fried vegetables. Bon Appetit! Do you have any recipes for making yellow rice? Please share it in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.