What is Lakadong Turmeric?
Lakadong Turmeric is a special variety of turmeric from a place called ‘Lakadong’, in Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya. It is known for its medicinal qualities, as the Curcumin content in it is between 7 to 12.32% (last tested in 2020), which is one of the highest, as against 2 to 3% in most varieties of turmeric.
What is Curcumin?
Well, Curcumin is a component that is present in all the different types of turmeric and it is the special essence which gives turmeric it's bright yellow colour along with its incredible medicinal properties. Curcumin content determines the value of turmeric. So, the higher the curcumin level the higher is its value.
What Are We Doing to Ensure its Quality?
Zizira wants to ensure that the price you pay for each of our Lakadong turmeric products is worth it. These are the list of things we follow:
- Responsible Sourcing- We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize on the purity and quality.
- 100% assured safe Zizira Lakadong Turmeric- We have taken a more critical measure towards our mission of providing safe, clean and pure Lakadong Turmeric. Our turmeric undergoes quality control tests from MSK private limited who provides us with the test report to ensure us that it is free from pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
- Zero Adulteration: To ensure that our customers receive a zero adulteration Lakadong Turmeric, we follow in-house processing which involves the following steps:
- Step 1. Freshly harvested Lakadong turmeric rhizomes are separated to remove dirt
- Step 2. Rhizomes are soaked in clean water for 10 minutes to loosen dirt
- Step 3. Then they are triple washed to ensure squeakier clean rhizomes
- Step 4. Cleaned rhizomes then go to food-grade containers to drain off excess water
- Step 5. The rhizomes are then moved to mechanized slicers for slicing
- Step 6. Turmeric slices are then placed in bamboo trays and moved to drying chambers
- Step 7. They are dried in temperature above 100°C for 48 hours straight until fully dried. This process of drying kills unwanted pathogens.
- Step 8. Dried slices which are now at zero moisture (using moisture meter) are fed to the mechanized grinder for grinding and sieving process.
- Step 9. Packed in airtight bio-degradable pouches along with food-grade oxygen absorbers and silica gel for longer shelf-life.
What Is the Shelf-life of Lakadong Turmeric?
Our Lakadong turmeric can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. The powder does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended.
How to Store Lakadong Turmeric?
Here are a few simple steps to follow in order to keep your Lakadong Turmeric fresh for a longer duration.
- Store the turmeric in an airtight container and remember to close the lid of the container tightly as soon as you finish using it.
- Before storing the spice in airtight containers, make sure the turmeric, as well as the bottle, is thoroughly dried because the presence of moisture will cause the turmeric powder to develop moulds.
- Coloured bottles are a better option to store the turmeric as it protects it from direct sunlight. If you are using clear bottles, remember to store it in closed cabinets or wall racks which do not receive direct sunlight.
- Store it away from stoves, ovens, windows and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the spice to lose its strength.
- Avoid storing it in plastic containers for a long time as this may absorb the smell of the plastic which is not very healthy.
What is Mawsynram Honey?
Natural honey that is directly collected from the dense forests of Mawsynram where the flora is in abundance. Our Mawsynram honey is provided to us by our partnered beekeeper, Kong Elvira who hails from Thieddieng village in Mawsynram.
How Are the Bees Reared?
The people in the village use traditional beehives to rear the bees. They make use of wooden logs called ‘Ksing’ where the bees reside. The bees are collected from the dense forests and are kept inside the ‘Ksing’ for a few months.
The beehives are checked from time to time to ensure that they are busy and working and that the surrounding area is clean and healthy.
Besides the traditional beehive or ‘Ksing’, boxes that are provided by the government are also used but they are not that durable so, Kong Elvira have constructed cement covers for the boxes that last them for many years.
Why Does Pure Raw Honey Undergo Crystallization Process?
If your honey bottle is solidified or has a creamy texture. It means you are witnessing a natural process called “Crystallization” which is perfectly normal for raw and pure honey.
It is a natural and uncontrolled process that happens when the glucose (or sugar content) in honey loses water and takes the form of crystals which is due to change in temperature. Other kinds of honey that are available in the market undergo a heating process known as pasteurization to maintain the consistency of the honey. This method can make it stay liquified for a long period, but it reduces the nutrients in it. So, observing a sign of crystallization in your honey indicates that it is not processed and is raw.
How to Decrystallize Honey?
To turn your crystallized honey into liquid again, a gentle heat technique is followed.
- Boil water in a container and remove it from heat.
- Place the jar of honey in it making sure the water does not reach the top of the jar.
- The honey slowly liquefies. Repeat the process if the honey is still solidified.
- The jar can also be kept under the sun until it liquefies.
Note: It is not recommended to microwave raw honey or to put it in direct heat as this may destroy some of its essential nutrients.
What Is the Shelf-life of Honey?
Raw honey does not have an expiry date, but the crystallization process can change the colour and taste of the honey which is a natural process that can easily be resolved.
These are a few ways of how Zizira ensures the purity of all products:
We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize purity and quality. And we are responsible for only working with farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.
Knowing where the ingredients come from:
Zizira deeply cares about where every ingredient comes from. Over the years, the Zizira team has been able to build relationships with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and Zizira gives importance to providing pure and safe products to customers like you.
Evaluation of ingredients:
To provide you with the best products, Zizira selects the absolute best quality ingredients. The Zizira team as well as farmer partners share the same mission of prioritizing the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
All of Zizira's Products are Processed in-house in locations across Northeast India under the direct responsibility of Zizira
In the processing of food, several hazards can creep in. Zizira does not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. Zizira takes every precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facilities. That is done with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that is used.
Credible, Safe, and Wholesome:
Zizira follows a similar process for all products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. Zizira chooses whom to work with, partner with, to serve you in a way that makes a difference. Zizira’s continued effort and diligent work will contribute to your health, as well as to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
Payment & Security
- honey bottle
- delivery partner
All spices are good
i wanted to gift natural turmeric and honey and the overall product in the basket looked nice for a gift. hence I ordered.
Sent as a gift and they loved each and every product
Great Combo with beautiful basket to promote local goods.
I received turmeric, raw honey.....etc., All spices are very good in smell and taste wise.
Excellent and I am a grateful to the products. Thanks.
Best Quality Products
Quality of the product