About Black Cardamom
Black cardamom is also known as badi elaichi or kali elaichi is a very popular spice that is found mostly in every Indian kitchen. Although its name suggests black, the pods are often dark brown to chestnut brown in color. This spice has always been loved by chefs for its bold and smoky flavor that it gives to savory dishes.
The intense aroma and flavor of black cardamom puts this spice in the 'warming spice category' along with black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and cumin seeds combined together forming a very famous Indian spice mix- “Garam Masala”.
Zizira’s black cardamom is naturally and traditionally grown by our farmer partners from Meghalaya who have put in the effort to provide you with high-quality spices that you can use in your daily cooking.Note: This product is brought to you from the farms, unprocessed, and in its purest form.
What Is the Shelf-life of Black Cardamom?
The whole Black Cardamom can stay at its best quality for about 1 year if it is properly stored in airtight containers. The spice does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency over time and will not flavor food as it is intended.
Black cardamom is rich in aromatic fragrances and it also contains a wide range of health benefits that can do wonders to the body.
- Aids in stomach health- Consumption of black cardamom helps in dealing with many digestive disorders such as gas and bloating as it helps in producing stomach juices that improves digestion. It also helps in improving the appetite.
- Helps in respiratory problems- Black cardamom may help in respiratory disorders such as asthma, congestion, sore throat, and cough. It may help in relieving the symptoms as it keeps the flow of mucous normal throughout the respiratory tract.
- Helps in detoxifying the body- The presence of minerals in it helps in purifying the body and the presence of vitamin C in it helps in improving blood circulation throughout the body.
- Protect against infections- The seeds of black cardamom are antiseptic and antibacterial which helps to fight against infections which further helps in boosting the immune system.
- Keeps oral health in check- Oral health issues such as cavities, bad breath, and bleeding gums can be overcome by chewing black cardamom seeds. The aromatic oils that are present in the seeds of black cardamom are beneficial for oral health.
How to use Black Cardamom?
For use in your daily dish
- Crush few Pods of black cardamom and put them into your dish during cooking to enhance and intensify the taste of other ingredients.
- It has a nice flavour and aroma that stimulates the taste buds when used in your daily food like dal and rice.
As a mouth freshener
- Take a few ground pieces of black cardamom and chew them after taking your daily meals to get rid of the bad breath.
Garam Masala Recipe
- Black cardamom- 20gm
- Cinnamon sticks- 20gm
- Cloves- 10gm
- Cumin seeds- 20gm
- Black pepper seeds- 20 gm
- Take a pan and heat it on medium flame. It would take about 2 minutes to heat up.
- Add all the raw spices to a pan and roast them for about 5 minutes on medium flame.
- After 5 minutes, switch off the stove. Mix well.
- Keep aside the roasted spices for 10 minutes to cool down to room temperature.
- Once they cool down, Grind the whole/raw spices together in a grinder to a smooth powder.
- After grinding, sieve the Masala powder to remove the leftover threads of Cardamom as they will not taste good in the mouth when eating the dish.
- The Garam masala is ready to use and can be preserved for about 6 months in an airtight container.