Valerian Jatamansi is a Perennial herb, not cultivated but grows wildly. It bears pink or white flowers.
In traditional and modern Indian medicine, Valerian Jantamansi is pretty well known. For centuries it has been used for medicinal purposes, especially in Ayurvedic (Indian) systems of medicine.
Found mostly in the temperate Himalayan region, from Kashmir to Bhutan and Khasi Hills. It grows well in moist loamy soils having partial shades of trees.
It can grow over a wide range of soils, provided that it gets sufficient water and nitrogen nutrients.
Harvesting of roots is done from September to October. The crop may be kept in the field for one or two years. Its harvesting is best in the second year.
Jatamansi is harvested for local medicinal use as well as trade for its valuable medicinal benefits present on the herbs.
The herbs are collected from the forest or direct fields, and they should be dried as rapidly as possible without overheating.
Valerian Jatamansi has been used in Ayurvedic system medicine for a long time. Its Ayurvedic name is Tagar.
It is a herb of choice for native support from mental conditions. It may help relieve stress, anxiety, and is considered to have antioxidant, digestive, circulatory properties. It may help calm the nervous system.
The plant is called "Jatung" in Khasi (a local language in Meghalaya). They are found mostly in West Khasi Hills.
In Khasi Hills, the practice of herbal remedies for the treatment of various diseases rests with the traditional healers or ‘Nong ai dawai Kynbat’ as we called them locally. They belong to the indigenous family in which they passed the traditional healing knowledge from one generation to another.
People consult them for the treatment of various diseases and injuries, such as fractured bones. The whole plant of Valerian Jatamansi is used for making a paste and is applied after setting a fractured bone.
Roots of the plant (Rhizomes) is mashed with water to make a paste for healing purposes and relieving severe pain. It is used for medicinal purposes, such as treating insomnia and mental disorders. It is also beneficial for treating bacterial infections and advanced stages of fever.
The flavour and taste of valerian is associated with being woodsy.
Unlike its delicately scented flowers, valerian root has a very strong, earthy odour due to the volatile oils and other compounds responsible for its sedative effects.
Why This Product?
Zizira's Valerian root powder is pure, and natural that is directly and traditionally sourced from the ethical farmers of Meghalaya.
The extra mile we take to ensure we provide the best: Our team travels to the most isolated and remote villages to source the best ingredients. We make sure that the ingredients we use in our products come straight from the farmers who make an effort in providing us with the purest and highly genuine ingredients.
These are a few ways how we ensure the purity of our products: -
- Knowing where our ingredients come from- We deeply care about where each and every ingredient we use comes from. Over the years our team has been able to build up relations with the ethical farmers of Meghalaya and what is important is that we give our best to provide pure and safe products to our customers.
- Evaluation of ingredients- To provide our customers with the best products, we make sure to select the absolute best ingredients with maximum quality. Both our team and our farmer partners share the same mission and we prioritize in the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
- Product safety- In the processing of food, we are aware of hazards that can creep in. We do not take chances with any kind of hazard be it physical, chemical, or biological. We take every necessary precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facility. That is what we are doing with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that we use in producing our products.
- Credible, Safe, and Wholesome- We follow a similar process for all of Zizira's products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses! We understand that the choices we make and who we work with, partner with, what, and how we serve can make a difference. We believe that our continued effort and diligent work will contribute to the health of our customers, to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
What Are the Health Benefits of Valerian Root Powder?
- Helps in treating Insomnia: Having trouble sleeping can increase your risk for anxiety, depression, heart failure, and high blood pressure. The powder added with tea or milk can help improve sleeping quality and treat sleeping disorders.
- Lower blood pressure: Jatamansi has been proven to lower high blood pressure. It works to regulate the heart rate and treat both High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) and Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension).
- Preventing bacterial infection: Applying Jatamansi is the best way to prevent infections from bacteria that can cause cuts and bruises.
- Laxative: Due to various reasons such as improper eating habits, changes in diet, and stressful lifestyle, health issues like constipation may occur. Jatamansi is the best and effective option for curing constipation as it works without affecting digestion and other systems in the body.
- Skin Care: Regular care and protective measures of your skin are becoming very essentials. Jatamansi is the best and effective solution for curing and preventing a range of skin issues like dermatitis, which involves itchy, rash, or dry skin and reddened the skin. Other skin conditions in which skins cell build up and form scales, itchy dry patches, can also benefit by using Jatamansi.
- Hair growth: The extract of jatamansi oil is best for hair growth. It is also beneficial for healthy, smooth, and silky hair too.
- Other minor ailments: The powdered also helps in curing minor ailments such as cold sores, severe headache, and many more.
- Other Uses: Apart from medicinal use, the plant is also used to dye the hair black naturally and make it smooth and shiny. Massaging your scalp with the oil extract from the Jatamansi plant can prevent hair fall.
Excess consumption of Jatamansi may cause adverse effects on the body. Consuming in a large quantity may cause stomach problems. Dosage should always be as per prescriptions. Due to the lack of clinical studies consuming Valerian Jantamansi during pregnancy and lactation is not recommended.
Here is a simple recipe on how to use valerian powder:
- Take 1/3 spoon of Valerian root powder.
- Add it to a cup of 250ml warm water.
- Add your choice of sweetener.
For best results, consume 30 minutes to 2 hours before bedtime.
To a person with a busy lifestyle, the mind, and body often leaves one stressed and tired. Pure valerian powder added with warm water, tea, or coffee helps to reduce stress and improve the quality of sleep.
This herb has been used in modern and traditional Indian medicine for centuries. It surely is the most effective natural remedy for a sound sleep!