The honey collected from stingless bees is known as Meliponine honey, stingless bee honey, pot honey and Kelulut honey in Malaysia. Locally it is known as “Ngap Ryngkai” in Khasi and “Mengkari” in Garo. It is a special kind of honey that is produced by stingless bees belonging to Meliponine and Trigona genera.
As the name suggests, the bee does not sting thus, making collection easier. They are the main pollinators among other species. The colour of the honey is much clearer with a lesser viscosity and has a sweet and sour taste.
All kinds of honey are good and effective but the honey from stingless bees is much more potent and medicinal. Because of its unique flavour and medicinal values, the price of this honey is slightly higher than the rest.
Stingless bee honey is rich in phenolic compounds which is the main source of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimutagenic, cardioprotective properties.
Our stingless bee honey is naturally and traditionally sourced from a small village named Jakhong, situated in West Khasi Hills, Meghalaya.
The Khasi’s and Garo’s of Meghalaya used stingless bee honey mainly in healing wounds. But in recent years, scientists have confirmed the reason behind the secret of using stingless bee honey medicinally.
What Is the Shelf-life of Stingless Bee Honey?
Stingless bee honey does not have an expiry date, but the crystallization process can change the colour and taste of the honey which is a natural process that can easily be resolved.
Honey is a natural sweetener that is widely available across the world. Stingless bee honey has a very distinctive bush taste which is a mix of sweet and sour taste with a hint of fruity flavour.
The taste of this honey comes from the resins that are present on the plants and it varies from time to time depending on the flowers and trees the bees collect their nectar from.
What Is Special About Stingless Bee Honey?
Zizira’s Stingless bee Honey is pure, natural, raw, and unprocessed. It has been tested free of artificial additives, colouring agents or preservative. Its colour & flavour depends directly on the source of the nectar.
Obtained from the traditional beekeepers of Meghalaya with years of indigenous knowledge, Zizira's stingless bee honey is obtained from a stingless bee that collects the nectar from medicinal plants.
Rainfall and micro-climate affect the flowers growing every season as well as their medicinal values which gives the honey its unique identity.
Local folks from Meghalaya love this honey for its delightful taste and for its high medicinal values.
What Are the Health Benefits of Stingless Bee Honey?
As with the other types of honey, stingless bee honey contains quite a good amount of different nutrients and provides various health benefits for those who consume it regularly. These are a few health benefits of stingless bee honey.
- A good source of antioxidants- It contains many plant chemicals that act as antioxidants. These antioxidants help in protecting the cells of the body from getting damaged. Consuming antioxidant-rich foods may help in reducing the risk of rare diseases.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties- These properties in it help in killing unwanted bacteria that enters the body. It contains a substance in it that acts as an antiseptic.
- Helps in healing wounds- Stingless bee honey due to its antimicrobial property it is effective in killing germs and aid in repairing tissues. It will enhance the healing time and lower risk of infections.
- Soothes sore throat- It is an old remedy that helps in relieving sore throat. It also helps in suppressing cough.
- Treating diarrhoea- Stingless bee honey helps in reducing the symptoms of diarrhoea as it soothes the effect of digestions. It will help in treating mild diarrhoea in both children and adults. It helps in nourishing the good bacteria that are present in the intestines which are not only beneficial for digestion but our overall health.
- Useful in weight management- Honey may help in burning out body fats even while sleeping. It will help in increasing the metabolism which in turn helps in reducing weight.
- Protecting the brain- Honey has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory activities in it that is beneficial for the brain. It protects it from damage caused by exposure to lead and some of the constituents in it also helps in fighting inflammation in the brain.
- Nutritious- Honey contains various nutrients in it that makes it a healthy addition to your diet. The nutrition in it varies with the environments and depends on the types of flowers the bees collect their nectar from. But it still contains healthy compounds such as amino acids, antioxidants, and vitamins in it. Honey also contains natural sugars which makes it a healthier option than sugar.
- Increase athletic performance- Honey is good or is even better than glucose, sugar, or water in boosting the energy of athletes. It is a great source of carbohydrates and sugar and it helps in maintaining glycogen (helps in storing energy) levels and improves recovery time as compared to other sweeteners.
- Honey is better than sugar for diabetics- Honey increases blood sugar levels less as compared to sugar and it may also lower inflammation, fat levels and bad cholesterol, it is possibly a healthier option for people with diabetes but it should still be consumed with caution.
- Eye diseases- Stingless bee honey plays an important role in treating eye disorder such as cataract that has been chemically induced. The application of this honey as an eye washing agent may help in reducing cataract that has been induced by chemicals.
Ways to Use Stingless Bee Honey
- You can use stingless bee honey for topical application to help heal wounds
- You can use it in culinary due to its unique flavour
- It would make a perfect garnish on salads and fruits
- You can even drizzle it on oats, pancakes, ice-creams and baked foods
Adverse effects of stingless bee honey: Honey as such has no adverse effects and is safe for consumption but may be harmful to those who are allergic to bee pollen. Honey is not recommended for infants and children below 2 years old.
These are a few ways of how Zizira ensures the purity of all products:
We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize purity and quality. And we are responsible for only working with farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.
Knowing where the ingredients come from:
Zizira deeply cares about where every ingredient comes from. Over the years, the Zizira team has been able to build relationships with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and Zizira gives importance to providing pure and safe products to customers like you.
Evaluation of ingredients:
To provide you with the best products, Zizira selects the absolute best quality ingredients. The Zizira team as well as farmer partners share the same mission of prioritizing the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
All of Zizira's Products are Processed in-house in locations across Northeast India under the direct responsibility of Zizira
In the processing of food, several hazards can creep in. Zizira does not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. Zizira takes every precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facilities. That is done with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that is used.
Credible, Safe, and Wholesome:
Zizira follows a similar process for all products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. Zizira chooses whom to work with, partner with, to serve you in a way that makes a difference. Zizira’s continued effort and diligent work will contribute to your health, as well as to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
Payment & Security
- Natural Honey
- Rishi Bhubaneswar
Excellent all through, Very prompt and effective service
Pure, organic products being the need of the day
Used since long, good for health.
Very nice honey.
Excellent products ,Value for money
Pure and unadulterated honey. It is smooth and tasty.
I used it to have lemon water in the morning. The taste didnt go well. Your orange honey is best for that