Limited Edition Winter Honey
These infusions are available only in the winter season from November to February.
Raw Honey from Meghalaya tends to have a higher moisture content compared to honey from elsewhere, therefore infusing it with other herbs and spices might cause fermentation in the summer, which leads to leakage in our honey bottles.
Therefore, limiting Zizira to provide these infusions in the winter only!
What is Bhut Jolokia infused honey?
Zizira’s Bhut Jolokia infused honey is a honey that has been given a twist by infusing honey with the famous chilli – Bhut Jolokia! This chilli is highly famous for being one of the spiciest chillies in the world.
The objective of adding Bhut Jolokia chilli to honey makes this combination quite unique and interesting and also useful to some extent. Bhut Jolokia infused honey is a special and unique flavoured honey that has been created to give the sweet honey a twist with some hotness. It is a perfect pair of sweet and spicy flavours that not only enhances the taste but also provide some essential benefits needed by the body.
This unique honey infusion makes the consumption of chilli highly acceptable and gives your meal that perfect twist. For someone who loves experimenting with flavours, this infused honey is a must-have in the kitchen.
What is Honey Infusion?
Honey infusions are simple concoctions that serve as a herbal remedy that not only provides maximum benefits but is delicious too. It is the easiest method of combining all sorts of herbs and spices with honey to bring about delicious and unique flavours as well as adding remedial values too.
Combining the healing properties of various herbs and spices with raw honey is the most effective way of keeping the body free from diseases and helps in boosting the immune system.
Ingredients in Bhut Jolokia infused honey
Relating to its name, this honey is a combination of natural ingredients of the North East that are flavorful and beneficial. The basic ingredients in this honey infusion are:
Mawsynram Honey - A natural honey that is directly collected from the dense forests of Mawsynram where the flora is in abundance. Our Mawsynram honey is provided to us by our partnered beekeeper, Kong Elvira who hails from Thieddieng village in Mawsynram. This honey is in its purest and raw form and is free from all artificial additives. It has a beautiful golden-brown colour that comes along with a fresh and sweet citrus flavour. This honey is packed with a wholesome amount of nutrients and provides maximum health benefits.
Bhut Jolokia - A famous chilli from the North-East which is also known as Ghost Chilli, Naga chilli and beb. Due to the presence of active component capsaicin, the chilli is considered to be one of the hottest peppers on the planet, topping over a million Scoville Heat Units (a measure of pungency). It actually held the Guinness Book of World Records for the world’s hottest chilli from the year 2007 until 2010. So, you can imagine the level of spiciness it gives out! This chilli is definitely spicy but is filled with an intensely fruity, sweet chilli flavour. In addition to being a common kitchen ingredient in certain Indian households, it has also been used as a remedy for stomach ailments as well as to increase metabolism.
Bhut Jolokia infused honey has been created with the intention of experiencing the taste of Bhut Jolokia in the most convenient way by infusing it with the most versatile ingredient – Honey!
Our Mawsynram honey gets infused with the famous chilli Bhut Jolokia which is extremely spicy. It gives the honey a beautiful yellowish-orange tint topped with a single whole Bhut Jolokia giving it an extremely appealing look. The consistency of this honey is so smooth that it easily dribbles down a spoon and is very clear that you see the chilli powder floating on the honey.
Once you open the lid, there is an outburst of a sweet, spicy, and fruity aroma that is strong yet absolutely pleasing. The uniqueness of this honey infusion makes you want to try it and the sweet and spicy flavour from the honey and chilli is what makes you want more.
This infused honey is worth a try! Its uniqueness and the burst of flavours it produces is worth giving your juices and other dishes a little twist.
What are the health benefits of Bhut Jolokia-infused honey?
Raw honey contains the most nutrients, while its combination with Bhut Jolokia will certainly enhance its taste as well as provide some benefits too. Here are a few health benefits of Bhut Jolokia infused honey:
- It can help in dealing with migraines - Bhut Jolokia can help in reducing migraine pain. The capsaicin content in it numbs the brain’s trigeminal nerve (responsible for sensation in the face and motor functions) where some migraines and severe headaches start.
- Clears a runny nose - A whiff of capsaicin may help to calm the effects of a runny or stopped-up nose. It triggers the nasal passage and increases the production of mucus and saliva.
- May help speed up metabolism - Capsaicin is responsible for sensing a total-body flush and it also increases the rate at which the body heats up when consuming chillies. It activates the sensory neuron called TRPV1, which helps in keeping the body fat from building up and helps in controlling the appetite. Honey, on the other hand, is known to help burn out body fats even while sleeping. The combination of these metabolism-quickening ingredients might help in losing weight and keeps the body fit.
- It can help in scrambling pain signals - The capsaicin present in Bhut Jolokia triggers a sensation (sends a signal) to the nerve cells in the brain that normally deals with pain to avoid the sensation of pain instead focuses on the spiciness of the chilli. It tricks the brain in such a way that a person forgets the pain and focuses more on the hot sensation from the chilli. This property helps in controlling pain.
- Helps in reducing inflammation - Honey along with capsaicin in Bhut Jolokia has natural anti-inflammatory compounds that help the body fight against foreign substances. It helps in reducing cell damage and also prevents inflammation by reducing the activity of cell-signalling. Without inflammation in the body, bacteria and germs can easily take over the body and lead to chronic diseases. Therefore, any substance that can help in treating chronic inflammation is of utmost importance. This anti-inflammatory property of this infusion soothes arthritis and reduces discomfort and pain.
- May help fight diseases - Some studies have stated that capsaicin may help in killing cells that are linked to more than forty types of cancers. This spicy chemical helps in changing the linkage of some genes with cancer cells and may even terminate them from growing or multiplying. This property of capsaicin may help in fighting diseases such as cancer.
- It can boost energy - Honey is a good source of carbohydrates which makes it better than glucose, sugar, or water in boosting energy. It helps in maintaining glycogen (helps in storing energy) levels and helps in improving recovery time as compared to other sweeteners. But Jolokia is also packed with major components such as vitamin A, B, C, and E. The capsaicin content in it also acts as antioxidants that protect the cells from getting damaged.
- Reduces snacking habits - The spiciness of the chilli helps in scorching the snacking habit but consuming it at a higher quantity can lead to belly pain, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting or even burning sensation of the stomach. It is safe to consume a small quantity of this infusion to help deal with snacking scenes.
- Nutritious - Honey contains various nutrients in it that make it a healthy addition to your diet. The nutrition in it varies with the environment and depends on the types of flowers the bees collect their nectar from. But it still contains healthy compounds such as amino acids, antioxidants, and vitamins. Honey also contains natural sugars which makes it a healthier option than sugar.
- A good source of antioxidants - Both honey and Bhut Jolokia contain many phytoconstituents that act as antioxidants. These antioxidants help in protecting the cells of the body from getting damaged. Consuming antioxidant-rich foods may help in reducing the risk of rare diseases and helps in boosting immunity.
Here are a few ways you can use our Bhut Jolokia infused honey
Whether you are preparing a garnish for your salads or toppings for your favourite cuisines, this honey is a seamless compliment. Whichever way you use it, it will surely tingle your taste buds and leaves you with a satisfying aftertaste.
- Sweet and spicy mix - Mix a teaspoon of Bhut Jolokia infused honey and half a teaspoon of lemon juice together in a glass. Add chilled juice to it and enjoy this drink.
- Bhut Jolokia infused honey toppings - Drizzle this delicious honey to your evening snacks such as samosas and dhokla. It will definitely enhance the taste. It can also be drizzled on salads for that sweet and spicy flavour.
- Bhut Jolokia infused honey garnishes and marinades - This honey infusion is a perfect glaze for your Asian cuisines. Garnish your vegetables and meat with this unique combination for a perfect sweet and spicy flavour.
- Bread spread- This sweet and spicy infusion can also be spread on bread and or toasts for a hint of spiciness.
Bhut Jolokia infused honey tomato sauce recipe
- One teaspoon of Bhut Jolokia infused honey
- Two fresh tomatoes
- One onion
- A few coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Cut the tomatoes and onion into cubes
- Add them into a blender
- Add Bhut Jolokia infused honey and salt to it
- Blend the mixture well
- Empty the mixture into a bowl and garnish it with some chopped coriander
- Sweet and spicy tomato sauce is ready to be enjoyed
How Should Honey Infusions be Stored?
Although honey is a super-food, it is not a supernatural ingredient. The mixture of herbs and spices in it makes the honey more susceptible to get contaminated with moisture and other unwanted substances.
To avoid such circumstances, honey infusions should be sealed properly after opening and should be stored in a cool and dry area. The addition of moisture or water to it will make the honey go bad and lead to a fermentation process that produces a sour aftertaste.
Why Does Foaming Occur in Honey Infusions?
Honey infusion is a combination of herbs and spices with raw honey. This process includes the mixing of ingredients together which leads to the formation of bubbles and froth in the honey. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs during the processing and packaging of these honey infusions.
When packed in containers, the natural ingredients get infused together and produce a unique and delicious flavour in the honey that gets enhanced with time. The longer you keep your honey-infused, the stronger the flavour will be.
What Is the Shelf-life of Honey Infusions?
The flavour of any honey infusion becomes intense with time. It is preferred to use the honey infusion within six months from the manufacturing date because when kept for a longer duration, its taste can become extremely strong which may not be preferred by some.
These are a few ways of how Zizira ensures the purity of all products:
We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize purity and quality. And we are responsible for only working with farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.
Knowing where the ingredients come from:
Zizira deeply cares about where every ingredient comes from. Over the years, the Zizira team has been able to build relationships with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and Zizira gives importance to providing pure and safe products to customers like you.
Evaluation of ingredients:
To provide you with the best products, Zizira selects the absolute best quality ingredients. The Zizira team as well as farmer partners share the same mission of prioritizing the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
All of Zizira's Products are Processed in-house in locations across Northeast India under the direct responsibility of Zizira
In the processing of food, several hazards can creep in. Zizira does not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. Zizira takes every precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facilities. That is done with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that is used.
Credible, Safe, and Wholesome:
Zizira follows a similar process for all products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. Zizira chooses whom to work with, partner with, to serve you in a way that makes a difference. Zizira’s continued effort and diligent work will contribute to your health, as well as to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Fantastic product, love the quality of honey and the taste of the chilli
Love the spiciness in honey
Its the best combo for spicy honey
Very unique combination of Hot and Sweet.
This product is awesome since we can use it on bread, roti and even on cut fruits to give the food both a flavor and honey consumption.
Spicy and tasty
Spicy but nice product
Purity , speedy delivery