This gift box contains:
Mawsynram honey (150g)
Lakadong turmeric (150g)
- Dried and Roasted Bay Leaf (50g)
What is Lakadong Turmeric?
Lakadong Turmeric is a special variety of turmeric from a place called ‘Lakadong’, in Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya. It is known for its medicinal qualities, as the Curcumin content in it is between 7 to 12.32% (last tested in 2020), which is one of the highest, as against 2 to 3% in most varieties of turmeric.
What is Curcumin?
Well, Curcumin is a component that is present in all the different types of turmeric and it is the special essence which gives turmeric it's bright yellow colour along with its incredible medicinal properties. Curcumin content determines the value of turmeric. So, the higher the curcumin level the higher is its value.
What Are We Doing to Ensure its Quality?
Zizira wants to ensure that the price you pay for each of our Lakadong turmeric products is worth it. These are the list of things we follow:
- Responsible Sourcing- We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize on the purity and quality.
- 100% assured safe Zizira Lakadong Turmeric- We have taken a more critical measure towards our mission of providing safe, clean and pure Lakadong Turmeric. Our turmeric undergoes quality control tests from MSK private limited who provides us with the test report to ensure us that it is free from pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
- Zero Adulteration: To ensure that our customers receive a zero adulteration Lakadong Turmeric, we follow in-house processing which involves the following steps:
Step 1. Freshly harvested Lakadong turmeric rhizomes are separated to remove dirt
Step 2. Rhizomes are soaked in clean water for 10 minutes to loosen dirt
Step 3. Then they are triple washed to ensure squeakier clean rhizomes
Step 4. Cleaned rhizomes then go to food-grade containers to drain off excess water
Step 5. The rhizomes are then moved to mechanized slicers for slicing
Step 6. Turmeric slices are then placed in bamboo trays and moved to drying chambers
Step 7. They are dried in temperature above 100°C for 48 hours straight until fully dried. This process of drying kills unwanted pathogens.
Step 8. Dried slices which are now at zero moisture (using moisture meter) are fed to the mechanized grinder for grinding and sieving process.
Step 9. Packed in airtight bio-degradable pouches along with food-grade oxygen absorbers and silica gel for longer shelf-life.
What Is the Shelf-life of Lakadong Turmeric?
Our Lakadong turmeric can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. The powder does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended.
How to Store Lakadong Turmeric?
Here are a few simple steps to follow in order to keep your Lakadong Turmeric fresh for a longer duration.
- Store the turmeric in an airtight container and remember to close the lid of the container tightly as soon as you finish using it.
- Before storing the spice in airtight containers, make sure the turmeric, as well as the bottle, is thoroughly dried because the presence of moisture will cause the turmeric powder to develop moulds.
- Coloured bottles are a better option to store the turmeric as it protects it from direct sunlight. If you are using clear bottles, remember to store it in closed cabinets or wall racks which do not receive direct sunlight.
- Store it away from stoves, ovens, windows and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the spice to lose its strength.
- Avoid storing it in plastic containers for a long time as this may absorb the smell of the plastic which is not very healthy.
What is Mawsynram Honey?
Natural honey that is directly collected from the dense forests of Mawsynram where the flora is in abundance. Our Mawsynram honey is provided to us by our partnered beekeeper, Kong Elvira who hails from Thieddieng village in Mawsynram.
How Are the Bees Reared?
The people in the village use traditional beehives to rear the bees. They make use of wooden logs called ‘Ksing’ where the bees reside. The bees are collected from the dense forests and are kept inside the ‘Ksing’ for a few months.
The beehives are checked from time to time to ensure that they are busy and working and that the surrounding area is clean and healthy.
Besides the traditional beehive or ‘Ksing’, boxes that are provided by the government are also used but they are not that durable so, Kong Elvira have constructed cement covers for the boxes that last them for many years.
Why Does Pure Raw Honey Undergo Crystallization Process?
If your honey bottle is solidified or has a creamy texture. It means you are witnessing a natural process called “Crystallization” which is perfectly normal for raw and pure honey.
It is a natural and uncontrolled process that happens when the glucose (or sugar content) in honey loses water and takes the form of crystals which is due to change in temperature. Other kinds of honey that are available in the market undergo a heating process known as pasteurization to maintain the consistency of the honey. This method can make it stay liquified for a long period, but it reduces the nutrients in it. So, observing a sign of crystallization in your honey indicates that it is not processed and is raw.
How to Decrystallize Honey?
To turn your crystallized honey into liquid again, a gentle heat technique is followed.
- Boil water in a container and remove it from heat.
- Place the jar of honey in it making sure the water does not reach the top of the jar.
- The honey slowly liquefies. Repeat the process if the honey is still solidified.
- The jar can also be kept under the sun until it liquefies.
Note: It is not recommended to microwave raw honey or to put it in direct heat as this may destroy some of its essential nutrients.
What Is the Shelf-life of Honey?
Raw honey does not have an expiry date, but the crystallization process can change the colour and taste of the honey which is a natural process that can easily be resolved.
What is Dried and Roasted Bay Leaf?
The Indian bay leaf is scientifically known as Cinnamomum tamala or tej patta in Hindi. Originated in the southern slopes of the Himalayas, they are also found growing in Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and the North-Eastern hills of India. It is an endemic spice in most Indian cuisines from savoury to sweet dishes due to its distinctive fragrance and flavour.
However, it is also well-known for the medicinal properties it possesses. Presence of various nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin A and C along with folic acid (a type of vitamin B) makes it a highly beneficial herb.
If the leaves are eaten whole, they are pungent and have a sharp bitter taste. Its fragrance is more noticeable than its taste which when dried, it gives out a herbal and slightly floral fragrance which is due to the presence of essential oils like Myrcene and Eugenol in it.
What Is the Shelf-life of Bay Leaf?
Our Dried roasted bay leaf can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. The powder does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended when it exceeds the period of twelve months.
How to Store It?
To keep your Dried Roasted bay leaf powder fresh for a longer duration, store it away from direct sunlight, stoves, ovens, and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the blend to lose its flavour and strength.
Used for generations for multiple medicinal purposes, high curcumin Lakadong turmeric is bright yellowish-orange in colour, fresh with strong earthy and subtly flavour filled with a pleasant fruity aroma that makes it one of the finest turmerics in the world and health watchers’ favourite.
Our Mawsynram Honey has a beautiful golden-brown colour with a smooth and thick consistency. It is extremely flavorful with a mild citrus flavour filled with a refreshing aroma.
Dried and Roasted Bay Leaf
A perfect ingredient, this roasted bay leaf powder is a flavorful add on for your Garam Masala or to your soup seasoning. It is complex and strong. In Ayurveda, bay leaf is added in teas for treating cough and cold.
If you smell a dried bay leaf, you might not get as much aroma as you would. But this does not mean there is no flavour in it. When the herb is added into water, soup, or another cooking liquid, it develops an almost minty flavour (somewhere between spearmint and menthol).
Bay leaf powder adds a subtle bitterness that keeps heavy soups and stews from tasting so heavy.
What is Special About Lakadong Turmeric?
- Lakadong turmeric is known for its high Curcumin level. Many other varieties of turmeric have 3-5% curcumin content whereas our Lakadong turmeric has curcumin ranging from 7% to 12.32%. This makes the turmeric most beneficial for our health.
- Zizira sources it from remote parts of Meghalaya directly from the farmers who follow traditional practices without using chemicals such as pesticides and fertilizers.
- We also get each batch of our products tested in FSSAI approved labs to make sure it is not contaminated or adulterated after processing. We go the extra mile to make sure that our products are authentic and pure.
What’s Special About Mawsynram Honey?
- Zizira’s Mawsynram Honey is pure, natural, raw and unprocessed. It has been tested free of artificial additives, colouring agents or preservative. Its colour & flavour depends directly on the source (various flowers) of the nectar.
- Obtained from the traditional beekeepers of Meghalaya with years of indigenous knowledge, Zizira's pure Mawsynram Honey is obtained from sun-soaked pollens and nectar collected by bees during summers and winters.
- The beekeepers plant the flowers that the bees love or place the hive in a habitat filled with a variety of flowers and trees. Hence the flavour of this honey comes from these flowers that grow naturally around the bee's nest.
- Rainfall and micro-climate affect the flowers growing every season which gives the honey a unique identity.
- Local folks from Meghalaya love this honey for its delightful taste and for its multiple all-around uses.
What is Special About Dried Roasted Bay Leaf?
Zizira’s Dried roasted bay leaf powder is pure, and natural that is directly and traditionally sourced from the ethical farmers of Meghalaya.
Why This Product
The extra mile we take to ensure we provide the best- Our team travels to the most isolated and remote villages to source the best ingredients. We make sure that the ingredients we use in our products come straight from the farmers and beekeepers who make an effort in providing us with the purest and highly genuine produce.
These are a few ways how we ensure the purity of our products: -
Knowing where our ingredients come from- We deeply care about where each and every ingredient we use comes from. Over the years our team has been able to build up relations with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and what is important is that we give importance to providing pure and safe products to our customers.
Evaluation of ingredients- To provide our customers with the best products, we make sure to select the absolute best ingredients with maximum quality. Both our team and our farmer partners share the same mission and we prioritize on the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
Product safety- In the processing of food, we are aware of hazards that can creep in. We do not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. We take every necessary precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facility. That is what we are doing with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that we use.
Credible, Safe and Wholesome- We follow a similar process for all of Zizira's products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. We understand that the choices we make and who we work with, partner with, what and how we serve can make a difference. We believe that our continued effort and diligent work will contribute to the health of our customers, to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.