This product has been discontinued in favour of Meghalaya Masala Chai.
What is Classic Masala Chai?
Classic Masala Chai is a natural blend that will help you create the perfect cup of masala chai, without worrying about which spices to add or what quantity of it to put in. These spices not only add aroma and taste to the chai, but they also help you deal with a common seasonal illness like cold, cough, and sore throat.
What Are the Ingredients in Classic Masala Chai?
This blend is a combination of amazing ingredients that are directly and traditionally sourced from our farmers. It consists of classic ingredients such as Black tea, lemongrass, bay leaf, ginger, and black pepper.
Black tea: Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis. It is one of the most loved beverages in the entire world. It is believed to have originated in China but around 80% of people from around the world consume it daily. In ancient times, border trade between China, Tibet, and other neighbouring countries fermented tea, dried them, and pressed them into bricks to be used as currency.
The difference between the different teas is the processing method. During the processing of black tea, it is fermented and oxidized. The oxidation level in the tea gives it its unique flavour and colour ranging from amber to dark brown with a savoury to sweet taste.
Black tea is rich in antioxidants known as polyphenols and catechins. The compounds that it contains are loaded with a wide range of health benefits. It is stronger, bolder, and more oxidized and thus more beneficial. Black tea also has caffeine content in it which is around 42 mg in a single cup serving.
Lemongrass: Scientifically known as Cymbopogan citratus. It is also known as barbed wire grass, silky heads, cochin grass, Malabar grass. Lemongrass is an aromatic plant that yields aromatic oils. Its name is derived from the lemon-like odour shoots. Due to its ability to reduce fever, it is also known as “fever grass”. It is one of the herbs to travel along the spice route from Asia to Europe. Lemongrass oil is known as Cochin oil since 90% of it is shipped from Cochin port.
There are five species of lemongrass. They are:
- Cymbopogon flexuosus- It is known as East India, Cochin, or Malabar grass. The leaves are linear and lanceolate. Under this species, two other varieties are identified based on the colour of the stem.
- C. flexuosus variety flexuosus- It is red grass. The stem and leaf sheath are reddish-purple colour. It is recognized as the true lemongrass. The essential oil contains more than 75-80% citral.
- C. flexuosus variety albescens- it has white grass and white stems. The essential oil contains less than 65-70% citral.
- Cymbopogon citratus- it is known as West Indian or American lemongrass. It is stemless grass. The essential oil contains around 74-76% citral.
- Cymbopogon pendulus- it is known as Jammu lemongrass and has white stems and is dwarf in nature. It is frost resistant and its essential oil contains around 75-80% citral.
Bay leaf: The Indian bay leaf is scientifically known as Cinnamomum tamala or tej patta in Hindi. Originated in the southern slopes of the Himalayas, they are also found growing in Nepal, Bhutan, Burma, and the North-Eastern hills of India.
It is an endemic spice in most Indian cuisines from savoury to sweet dishes due to its distinctive fragrance and flavour. However, it is also well-known for the medicinal properties it possesses.
The presence of various nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin A and C along with folic acid (a type of vitamin B) makes it a highly beneficial herb. If the leaves are eaten whole, they are pungent and have a sharp bitter taste. Its fragrance is more noticeable than its taste, which when dried gives out a herbal and slightly floral fragrance which is due to the presence of essential oils like Myrcene and Eugenol in it.
Ginger: Ginger is one of the healthiest spices in the world. Renowned for its taste elevating properties and is a must-have in Asian cooking. It is loaded with essential nutrients and bioactive components that have powerful benefits for the body. People have been using ginger for cooking as well as medicines since ancient times.
The unique fragrance and flavour of this spice come from its natural oils, gingerol. Gingerol is the main bioactive compound that is responsible for many of its medicinal properties. It provides powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects and is a popular home remedy for nausea, stomach disorders, and various other health issues.
Black pepper: Known as the king of spice as it is widely loved and extensively used by people all over the world. Black pepper’s signature aroma emanates from the berries of the tropical Piper nigrum vine, one among the thousand species of the Piperaceae family.
Black pepper is more than just a kitchen staple but is used medicinally in ancient medicines. It has active component piperine which does all the magic!
It is responsible for all the health benefits that it provides and is also an essential component that enhances curcumin absorption and activates it up to 2,000%. It works by supporting the gastrointestinal tract and the immune system.
What Are We Doing to Ensure Its Quality?
Zizira wants to ensure that the price you pay for each of our products is worth it. These are the list of things we follow:
- Responsible Sourcing- We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of the pure ingredients and this is where we emphasize purity and quality.
- Free from harmful additives- We ensure that each and every ingredient that we come across are pure and are free from all the harmful additives such as fertilizers and pesticides. The ingredients we have are all sourced from remote places in Meghalaya where they are grown and cultivated traditionally and naturally.
- Zero adulteration- In today’s era, most of the spices and products we receive are adulterated in one way or the other. In Zizira we make sure to obtain whole ingredients and we follow in-house processing for each and every ingredient.
What Is the Shelf-life of Classic Masala Chai?
Our Classic Masala chai can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. The blend does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended when it exceeds the period of twelve months.
How to Store This Chai?
Here is a simple way to follow in order to keep this Classic Masala Chai fresh for a longer duration.
Store it away from direct sunlight, stoves, ovens, and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the blend to lose its flavour and strength.
Our Classic Masala Chai is known for its strong and pleasant flavours and this blend can be included in the daily diet because of the many benefits it has. It is a perfect tea blend that is a must-have in every household. This blend will transform your simple tea into a beautiful yet extremely beneficial healthy beverage.
The brownish-green powder is loaded with the goodness of natural ingredients that makes your tea rich and appealing. You will be delighted by the pleasant aroma it produces once you open the container, and the aroma sizzles in the air and lingers in the mouth.
This amazing chai has a delicious flavorful taste and the feeling that accompanies it is exceptionally satisfying.
A classic chai that can be enjoyed all the year-round and is a perfect drink to relish during a cold rainy day.
Why Classic Masala Chai
Classic Masala Chai is packed with components that are overloaded with medicinal bioactive compounds such as gingerol, piperine, and polyphenols that are beneficial in keeping our body healthy.
Our team travels to the most isolated and remote villages to source the best ingredients. This blend has been formulated by combining the goodness of natural ingredients possessing a milder yet delicious flavour that have been well chosen by our ethical farmers.The extra mile
- Knowing where our ingredients come from- We deeply care about where each and every ingredient we use comes from. Over the years our team has been able to build up relations with the ethical farmers of Meghalaya and what is important is that we give importance to providing pure and safe products to our customers.
- Evaluation of ingredients- To provide our customers with the best products, we make sure to select the absolute best ingredients with maximum quality. Both our team and our farmer partners share the same mission and we prioritize on the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
- Product safety- In the processing of food, we are aware of hazards that can creep in. We do not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical or biological. We take every necessary precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facility. That is what we are doing with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that we use.
- Credible, Safe and Wholesome- We follow a similar process for all of Zizira's products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. We understand that the choices we make and who we work with, partner with, what and how we serve can make a difference. We believe that our continued effort and diligent work will contribute to the health of our customers, to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
Our Classic Masala Chai has a wide variety of active components from the different ingredients. These ingredients also come with maximum health benefits. Some of its health benefits are as follows:
- Has antioxidant properties- Antioxidant is known to be responsible for keeping the body healthy. Its consumption may help in the removal of free radicals which cause damage of cells which ultimately helps in decreasing the risk of rare diseases. The polyphenols including catechins are the main source of antioxidants in black tea that promotes the overall health. Other ingredients such as ginger, lemongrass, and black pepper are also rich in antioxidants that help in keeping the body free from free radicals.
- May protect against Heart diseases- Black tea contains another type of antioxidant called flavonoids in it which may improve the function or health of the thin membrane that covers the inner layer of the heart and blood vessels. This membrane is responsible for regulating blood pressure. When the function of this membrane lowers, it leads to an increased risk of heart diseases. It also lowers the LDL (low -density lipoprotein) which is bad cholesterol as it transports cholesterol to cell all over the body. Too much of LDL in the body leads to the formation of plaque (waxy deposits) that can lead to heart failure and stroke. Thus, black tea protects the heart against this function and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- May improve gut health- It is found in studies that types of bacteria are present in the gut that plays an important role in our health. While some of these bacteria are also harmful. The good bacteria act by reducing the risk of certain health conditions like inflammatory bowel diseases. The polyphenols that are present in the black tea helps in maintaining a healthy gut by promoting the growth of these good bacteria and inhibiting the bad ones. The antimicrobial properties of black tea and other ingredients in masala chai helps in destroying the harmful substances and further improve the bacteria of the gut as well as it helps in repairing the lining of the digestive tract.
- May help reduces blood pressure- High blood pressure is the main reason that affects almost billions of people around the world. It leads to an increase in the risk of various rare diseases. By drinking black tea along with other herbs and spices that are present in this chai helps in decreasing the systolic (amount of pressure in the arteries) and diastolic (blood pressure when the heart muscle is between beats) blood pressure. Drinking this masala chai on a daily basis as well as incorporating a healthy lifestyle may benefit those with high blood pressure.
- Helps in reducing inflammation- Ginger contains phytonutrients that may help in reducing the cell damage and also prevents inflammation by reducing the activity of cell-signalling. Without inflammation in the body, bacteria and germs can easily take over the body and lead to chronic diseases. Therefore, whatever substance that can help in treating chronic inflammation is of utmost importance. Piperine an anti-inflammatory compound also helps in reducing the inflammation in the body.
- May improve focus- This blend has black tea in it which contains caffeine and amino acids that help in improving alertness and focus. The amino acids increase the alpha activity in the brain which results in relaxation and better focus. Consumption of this chai significantly increases the accuracy and alertness which further improves the energy and focus.
- Prevents cold and nasal congestion- The different properties such as anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial present in the ingredients of masala chai helps in preventing colds and nasal congestion. The immunity-boosting ginger will help in keeping cough away. Overall, this tea will help in keeping you healthy by boosting immunity.
- Improves digestion- Just like any other warm concoctions, masala chai is excellent in regulating the digestive system and keeps the gut healthy. The strong spices in it like ginger and black pepper are highly responsible for producing digestive enzymes that help in speeding up the digestive processes and helps in breaking down fats and proteins in the body.
- Boosts metabolism- Having an active and good metabolism is directly associated with weight loss but having a good metabolism also helps the body to digest and use food more effectively. Masala chai is known to generate heat and thus helps in speeding up the metabolism.
- Helps in alleviating Nausea- This blend has ginger in it which is known for its ability to reduces nausea and has been traditionally utilized in treating various common ailments like seasickness or morning sickness during pregnancy. The compounds such as gingerol and shogaol are important as they have an anti-inflammatory effect that helps in soothing upset stomach and eliminates stomach pain that is associated with nausea.
- Reduces body aches and pain- The spices that are present in this tea helps in alleviating common body aches and pains which may be helpful in people with severe pains such as arthritis. This benefit is derived from the anti-inflammatory properties of the different ingredients in the chai. Ginger has been extremely used in reducing inflammation which may be helpful in relieving minor headaches and migraines. It also helps in increasing circulation and delivers blood cells that are rich in oxygen to the areas affected by pain.
- Protects overall health of the cells and prevent chronic diseases- Masala chai contains a high number of powerful antioxidants that helps in eliminating free radicals. These compounds are linked to causing chronic diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson diseases and many other types of cancer. Drinking masala chai daily may help in protecting the overall health of the cell. The ingredients in masala chai help in protecting cell degeneration and helps in protecting the body from harmful bacteria and viruses further protect the overall health of the body and prevents it from chronic diseases.
Our Classic Masala chai can be simply mixed in mixed for a burst of aroma and flavour.
Here is a simple way to make it.
- Add a cup of water and a cup of milk to a container and bring it to a boil.
- Add a teaspoon of this blend to it or more if you like it strong and keep boiling.
- After a few minutes, you will see a beautiful dark colour oozing out with an amazing aroma.
- Turn off the heat and strain it in a cup.
- Add your choice of sweetener if you prefer sweetness.
- Enjoy this spiced tea at any time of the day