✔ A higher concentration of beneficial plant compounds: gingerol and zingiberene compared to regular ginger varieties
✔ Rich in antioxidants, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and anti-nausea properties
✔ Helps improve digestion, relieves congestion and cold, relieve pain, treats bad breath, etc.
✔ Directly sourced from local farmers, naturally grown, minimally processed, and free of chemicals and pesticides
What is Ing Makhir Ginger?
We’re all familiar with ginger but have you heard of Ing Makhir Ginger?
It’s a special species of ginger that grows in Meghalaya.
What’s special about Ing Makhir Ginger is that it has a high amount of zingiberene and gingerol which makes it super strong and flavourful.
Its strong flavour and aroma give it many uses outside of the kitchen and it has been revered as a medicinal herb in Meghalaya for centuries.
We've never come across any ginger variety that's as strong as this one and we sure you haven't either!
A Brief History of Ing Makhir Ginger
Ing Makhir is a variety of ginger native to Meghalaya that is highly valued for its strong medicinal properties as compared to the common ginger root. Ing Makhir contains zingiberene, an essential oil that contributes its strong distinct flavour.
An age-old tradition of the Khasis used a herbal formulation comprising of Ing Makhir ginger and other herbs to treat an ailment found in new-borns or infants known as “Niangsohpet” (‘Niang’ means germs and ‘sohpet’ means navel in the Khasi dialect).
This ancient folk remedy contains a mixture of various herbs which also include Ing Makhir as an effective ingredient.
Though Ing Makhir is utilized and valued for its uses in medicine, the rhizome is also used to make one of Meghalaya’s most famous ethnic side dishes- Tungrymbai which is a popular fermented soybean chutney.
What is Gingerol?
Flavour of Ing Makhir Ginger
What is Special About Ing Makhir Ginger?
Compared to your regular varieties of ginger, Ing Makhir is superior in terms of potency, flavour, and health benefits. Here are some of the special attributes of Meghalaya’s Ing Makhir Powder:
- Strong and pungent flavour and aroma
- A higher concentration of beneficial plant compounds: gingerol, and zingiberene
- Rich in antioxidants; it has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and anti-nausea properties
- Helps improve digestion, relieves congestion and cold, relieve pain, reduces bad breath, etc.
- Directly sourced from local farmers, naturally grown, minimally processed, and free of chemicals and pesticides
What Are the Health Benefits Ing Makhir Ginger?
Ing Makhir is loaded with a number of nutrients and bioactive compounds that are responsible for numerous health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits of Ing Makhir ginger:
- It can help treat and reduce nausea symptoms
- It can help reduce muscle pain and soreness
- It has anti-inflammatory effects
- It may help in lowering blood pressure
- It has antibacterial properties
- It can be an effective blood-sugar regulator
- It can help in treating chronic indigestion
- It can help ease cold and flu symptoms
- It has immune-boosting properties
- It is effective in improving digestion and known to relieve pain and discomfort in the stomach
- Scientific research proves that it can help in lowering cholesterol and control high blood sugar in the body
- It facilitates weight loss; curbing hunger, burning the stored fat in the body, and processing glucose faster
- It helps to reduce inflammation in the body caused by injury and offers relief from swollen joints
- It can benefit women who suffer from menstrual pain and help reduce pain and cramps effectively
- It enhances brain function and can help protect the brain against age-related diseases such as Alzheimer's
How to Use Ing Makhir Ginger?
This ginger is an effective aromatic ingredient in the kitchen for curries, marinades, stews, and more. The strong and flavourful taste of the ginger makes it perfect for a variety of dishes from vegetables, meats, pickles, stews, curries, soups, and even baked goods. Here are a few ways to use Ing Makhir ginger:
- One teaspoon of grated Ing Makhir ginger can be added and boiled with your tea for flavour as well as for its benefits.
- ½ a teaspoon of the grated fresh gingercan be taken with honey before bedtime. This can also be a remedy to help in relieving cold and cough in both children and adults.