Lemongrass is a versatile aromatic herb that is grass-like and is mostly used in Asian cuisines. Its versatility makes it suitable for almost anything from stir-fried foods to cocktails to tea! As its name suggests, it has a wonderful refreshing lemony flavor and aroma accompanied with a whole lot of health benefits.
Zizira’s lemongrass is naturally and traditionally grown by farmers of Meghalaya. The dried leaves have a subtle pale green color with an intense citrusy aroma. Our farmer partners from Umsning, Ri Bhoi district have carefully selected and harvested this unique aromatic herb for you to experience a little twist in your recipes.
Note: This product is brought to you from the farms, unprocessed, and in its purest form.
Health Benefits of Lemongrass
Lemongrass offers a wide range of health benefits apart from flavoring a variety of foods. Here are some of the health benefits of lemongrass.
- Aids in digestion - Because of its refreshing and cooling effect, it helps in soothing the stomach and keeps the digestive tract in check. An active component “citral” which is present in it helps in digesting the food and thus helps deal with stomach issues like bloating, constipation, and indigestion.
- A powerhouse of antioxidants - Lemongrass chunks have been preferably used in teas to help detox. Its rich antioxidant properties help in detoxifying and cleansing the body from within.
- May help in dealing with high blood pressure - It has a rich potassium content that helps in increasing the production of urine in the body which further helps in increasing the circulation of blood and lowers the blood pressure.
- Aids in boosting the metabolism - Lemongrass is a key ingredient that helps in boosting the metabolism which in turn helps in boosting digestion.
- May help deal with pain - The presence of citral in it helps in dealing with pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Caution Diabetic patients, expecting and breastfeeding mothers should consult a doctor before its consumption.
How to use Lemongrass?
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 to 3 teaspoons of dried lemongrass chunks
- Steep for at least five minutes
- Strain the tea
- Enjoy hot or add ice cubes for iced lemongrass tea
- 250 g lemongrass chunks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 L of water
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 4 large ice cubes
- Heat 1 L of water in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add in the lemongrass and simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Strain the water into a large jug.
- Add the sugar and salt, stir well until dissolved, and pour the mixture into another pan.
- Bring it to a boil and remove it from the flame. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add some ice cubes to a glass and pour the juice over it.
- Serve chilled.
What is the shelf-life of Lemongrass?
These lemongrass chunks can last for about 2-3 years if it is properly stored in an airtight container. The essential oils in it are responsible for its unique and intense aroma and flavour which may be reduced if it is not properly stored in a cool and dark area.
These are a few ways of how Zizira ensures the purity of all products:
We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize purity and quality. And we are responsible for only working with farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.
Knowing where the ingredients come from:
Zizira deeply cares about where every ingredient comes from. Over the years, the Zizira team has been able to build relationships with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and Zizira gives importance to providing pure and safe products to customers like you.
Evaluation of ingredients:
To provide you with the best products, Zizira selects the absolute best quality ingredients. The Zizira team as well as farmer partners share the same mission of prioritizing the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
All of Zizira's Products are Processed in-house in locations across Northeast India under the direct responsibility of Zizira
In the processing of food, several hazards can creep in. Zizira does not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. Zizira takes every precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facilities. That is done with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that is used.
Credible, Safe, and Wholesome:
Zizira follows a similar process for all products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. Zizira chooses whom to work with, partner with, to serve you in a way that makes a difference. Zizira’s continued effort and diligent work will contribute to your health, as well as to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.