Valerian root, known to be one of the stress-relieving herbs among many is one of the ingredients in our sleep tea blend.
Anxiety, stress, and depression are some of the most common causes of sleepless nights. Many of our friends and customers have shared with us about the problems they have in falling asleep or having a rested sleep, therefore we have come up with this natural aid that includes valerian and other herbs that are known to help you deal with sleeping issues but keep your entire body and mind calm and relaxed.
Disclaimer: This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
What Are the Ingredients in It?
Valerian Root: Valerian is a high-value medicinal herb. It’s a perennial, bitter-sweet tasting flowering plant. Some kinds they cultivate but you'll mostly find it growing wild in the understory of moist, humus-rich temperate and sub-tropical forests across the world, including here in Meghalaya. Commonly known as Spikenard, Valerian is a plant with mild sedative properties that are reported to enable sounder and quality sleep and helps relieve anxiety.
Green tea: Green tea from Meghalaya is handpicked from the tea gardens that are grown at an elevation of over 6000 feet. The high altitude, the traditional method of cultivation, climate, and soil allows the plant to bear more shoots as well as elevating its quality.
It has been used as a medicine for thousands of years from lowering blood pressure to preventing cancer. Green tea has more health benefits than black tea due to its processing. In black tea, its processing is in such a way that it allows fermentation whereas green tea processing avoids fermentation process which results in retaining maximum antioxidant and polyphenol content.
Bay Leaf: The Indian bay leaf is scientifically known as Cinnamomum tamala or tej patta in Hindi. Originated in the southern slopes of the Himalayas, they are also found growing in Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and the North-Eastern hills of India.
It is an endemic spice in most Indian cuisines from savoury to sweet dishes due to its distinctive fragrance and flavour. However, it is also well-known for the medicinal properties it possesses.
Presence of various nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin A and C along with folic acid (a type of vitamin B) makes it a highly beneficial herb.
If the leaves are eaten whole, they are pungent and have a sharp bitter taste. Its fragrance is more noticeable than its taste which when dried, it gives out a herbal and slightly floral fragrance which is due to the presence of essential oils like Myrcene and Eugenol in it.
Lemongrass: Scientifically known as Cymbopogan citratus. It is also known as barbed wire grass, silky heads, cochin grass, Malabar grass. Lemongrass is an aromatic plant that yields aromatic oils.
Plantation of Lemongrass at the farm is done naturally. There are no added pesticides to boost plantation. Meghalaya’s high altitude, climate and rains provide favourable conditions for the growth of this plant.
Lakadong Turmeric: Lakadong Turmeric is a special variety of turmeric from a place called ‘Lakadong’, in Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya. It is known for its medicinal qualities as the Curcumin content in it is between 7 to 12.32% (last tested in 2020), which is one of the highest, as against 2 to 3% in most varieties of turmeric.
Curcumin in it is responsible for its bright yellowish-orange colour along with its incredible medicinal properties. This component also determines its valve. So, the higher the curcumin level the higher the value.
What Is Its Shelf-life?
Our sleep tea can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. The tea mix does not spoil, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended when it exceeds the period of twelve months.
How to Store This Tea?
To keep your sleep tea fresh for a longer duration, store it away from direct sunlight, stoves, ovens, and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the blend to lose its flavour and strength.
Our sleep tea is loaded with some of the wonderful ingredients that are extremely beneficial yet flavorful. You will experience a burst of tranquillizing flavours emerging out from each ingredient.
The green tea in it provides a bittersweet nutty flavour along with some citrusy and lemony flavour from the lemongrass. The presence of Valerian roots gives the tea a woodsy flavour along with a sharp, pungent, bitter taste from the bay leaves.
Beautiful light and clear drink with a tint of yellow from the turmeric adds beautiful colour to it. Overall, this tea will keep you relaxed and calm due to the pleasant and soothing aroma and flavour it imparts.
Why This Product?
Our sleep tea is made from pure, and natural ingredients that are ethically and traditionally sourced from the farmers of Meghalaya.
This tea will help in keeping the mind calm and relaxed and will provide you with a deep and satisfying sleep feeling refreshed and energetic the next morning.
The extra mile we take to ensure we provide the best:
- Our team travels to the most isolated and remote villages to source the best ingredients. We make sure that the ingredients we use in our products come straight from the farmers who make an effort in providing us with the purest and highly genuine ingredients. These are a few ways how we ensure the purity of our products.
- Knowing where our ingredients come from- We deeply care about where each and every ingredient we use comes from. Over the years our team has been able to build up relations with the ethical farmers of Meghalaya and what is important is that we give our best to provide pure and safe products to our customers.
- Evaluation of ingredients- To provide our customers with the best products, we make sure to select the absolute best ingredients with maximum quality. Both our team and our farmer partners share the same mission and we prioritize on the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
- Product safety- In the processing of food, we are aware of hazards that can creep in. We do not take chances with any kind of hazard be it physical, chemical, or biological. We take every necessary precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facility. That is what we are doing with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that we use in producing our products.
- Credible, Safe and Wholesome- We follow a similar process for all of Zizira's products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses! We understand that the choices we make and who we work with, partner with, what and how we serve can make a difference. We believe that our continued effort and diligent work will contribute to the health of our customers, to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
This amazing tea is loaded with natural relaxing ingredients that have many benefits. Some health benefits of this tea are as follows:
- Helps in inducing sleep- It has been estimated that about 30% of people experience insomnia and research have suggested that taking Valerian root may help in reducing the amount of time to fall asleep and it improves the quality of sleep. The other ingredients in this tea also help in inducing sleep. Lemongrass is helpful in calming the muscles and nerves that help in promoting sleep. The sedative property in it also helps in increasing the duration of sleep.
Helps in reducing menopausal symptoms- Research has suggested that the daily intake of about 675-1060 mg of Valerian root for a period of eight weeks may reduce the severity and frequency of hot flashes in post-menopausal women. In the United States, it is mainly sold as a sleeping aid whereas, in Europe, it is used for restlessness, tremors, and anxiety.
Relieves pain and inflammation- Bay leaves contain a unique phytonutrient known as parthenolide which helps in quickly reducing inflammation, sore joints and other areas that are affected by arthritis. Lemongrass contains citral in it which is an anti-inflammatory compound. Curcumin in turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory compound that helps the body to fight against foreign substances. Without inflammation in the body, bacteria and germs can easily take over the body and lead to chronic diseases. Therefore, whatever substance that can help in treating chronic inflammation is of utmost importance.
Curcumin is one of them and is a powerful anti-inflammatory substance that can fight chronic inflammation at a higher level. This tea will help in dealing with many inflammatory conditions.
- Increase antioxidant capacity- The main reason as to why antioxidants are extremely beneficial for the body is because it protects it from the substance that causes damage to the cells in our body. Green tea has catechins in it called epigallocatechin-3-gallate which are natural antioxidants. Polyphenols in bay leaves are powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants will help in preventing cell damage in the body.
Helps in lowering cholesterol- The essential oils that are present in lemongrass possess anti-hyperlipidemic and anti-hypercholesterolemic properties that support cholesterol level and the antioxidant properties present in green tea also affects positively in cholesterol levels. Bay leaves also helps in reducing serum glucose, total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases HDL (good cholesterol) levels.
Good for the heart- The presence of green tea, turmeric and other ingredients in this tea helps in reducing the mortality rate that is caused due to cardiovascular diseases. Research has shown that drinking green tea on a daily basis, lowered the risk of stroke to about 20-30%. The presence of caffeic acid and rutin in bay leaves helps in enhancing the heart health as rutin strengthens the capillary walls and caffeic acid helps in eliminating bad cholesterol. Curcumin may improve the function or health of the thin membrane that covers the inner layer of the heart and blood vessels. This membrane is responsible for regulating blood pressure. When the function of this membrane lowers, it leads to an increased risk of heart diseases. Thus, curcumin protects the heart against this function and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
Helps improve digestive health- Bay leaves help in stimulating urination which means it acts a diuretic. The compounds that are found in it are effective for settling an upset stomach and soothing irritable bowel syndrome. The essential oils in lemongrass have anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties that help in fighting infections caused by E.coli which is beneficial in reducing inflammation and gastrointestinal disorders and thus improves digestion.
Detoxifies the body- Lemongrass in this tea helps in cleansing and flushing out harmful toxic wastes from the body. Bay leaves contain many notable plant compounds, minerals and vitamins that are vital for optimum health, detox and cellular regeneration. The presence of green tea leaves in this product acts as a natural flush for the system. The antioxidants that are present in it not only helps the body to increase the detoxification properties but will also help boost the immune system while protecting the liver from damage effects of toxic substances.
Reduces obesity- Obesity can lead to various health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, strokes, and other heart diseases. Curcumin helps by stabilizing metabolism and manages the weight. It controls the metabolism of fat and reduces the processes that are responsible for the growth of fatty tissues. The other ingredients in this tea also help in lowering the accumulation of abdominal fats and promotes the utilization of stored energy preventing diet-induced weight gain.
Helps in fighting cold and flu- Green tea contains powerful catechin which is known as Epigallocatechin gallate which is an antioxidant that helps in killing bacteria and viruses including influenza virus. Essential oils in bay leaves and lemongrass are highly effective in alleviating respiratory conditions as well as in healing cold and cough. As for lemongrass, popularly known as “fever grass” helps in lowering fever.
This tea can either be steeped or boiled according to your preference. Boiling will increase its concentration and flavour.
The dose can be increased up to 1 tsp per cup but it is recommended to start with an initial dose of 1/2 tsp per cup.
1/2 tsp of this tea can last up to 70 servings.
How to use it?
- Take 1/2 tsp of the tea blend and add it to a cup/pot.
- Add approximately 150 ml (1 cup) of hot water to it and steep it for 5-10 minutes. If you prefer boiling then boil it for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain the tea or you can also use it along with the herbs.
- Add honey for sweetness (optional).
- Drink this tea at least ½ -1 hour before sleeping.
- You can enjoy this tea on alternate days.