|Need more than 10 KG?|
✔ From the hills of Meghalaya.
✔ Used to spice up pickles, giving them a distinctive aroma and flavour.
✔ It improves appetite.
✔Contains piperine, steroids, glucosides, pipelartine, and piperlonguminine.
Zizira Dried Piper Longum is sourced from the southern slopes of the pristine hills of Meghalaya.
Farmers here use traditional methods of cultivation and spikes of dried Piper longum are handpicked. It is harvested at maturity when it turns dark green in colour and dried in the sun before storage.
Piper longum is a popular spice of Meghalaya. It is known as “Pippali” in Sanskrit and in our local language khasi, it is known as “Sohmarit khlaw”.
It is referred to as long pepper as the fruits are long and slender and look a little like dried green chillies as the spikes on its surface look like a rough-skinned version of chilli peppers.
This product is not only a native of Meghalaya, but it is also a solid insurance policy for the farmers of Meghalaya.
Our Long pepper is sourced directly from Pynursla, Meghalaya and it has a bitter, spicy, and warming taste which is perhaps due to the presence of volatile content such as piplatine, piperlonguminine, piperine, and other unique chemical components.
These phytoconstituents are responsible for producing distinctive aroma, flavour, and health benefits.
Note: This product is brought to you from the farms, unprocessed, and in its purest form.
The fruit contains piperine, steroids, glucosides, pipelartine and piperlonguminine.
- The piperine in long pepper is said to fight parasites and infective agents.
- Piper Longum finds mentioned in Ayurvedic and Unani systems of medicine, particularly for diseases of the respiratory tract, where the powdered fruit is used.
- The root is used for bronchitis, stomachache, diseases of the spleen, and tumours etc.
- It also improves appetite. An infusion of the root is prescribed after child-birth to induce the expulsion of the placenta”
- Indian long pepper consists of a chemical compound called Piper longum which has shown positive activity against cancer.
- Long pepper is also said to be good for the liver, diabetes, and bacterial infections, apart from a host of other benefits.
- It is useful for liver and spleen ailments, for diabetes, for stomach problems and toothache.
Long pepper was once widely used in cooking, even in ancient Rome, to induce a pungent taste to various dishes.
There seems to be a renewed interest in this spice for its unique flavour and taste. The taste lingers in the tongue. While black pepper stings, long pepper soothes. The spikes of long pepper are ground or broken into coarse pieces and added to soups, stews, roasts, and curries.
It imparts complex mix of flavours like the earthiness of nutmeg, sweet note of cardamom and cinnamon, the spiciness of chillies, the heat of black pepper and a slight tongue-numbing taste, somewhat like that of winged prickly ash
Its bitter, spicy, and warming taste is perhaps due to its volatile, fragrant oils and alkaloids like piplatine, sesenine and pipla-sterol.
In northeast India it is also used to spice up pickles and preserves, giving them a distinctive aroma and flavour.
What Is the Shelf-life of Long Pepper?
Our Long pepper can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. It does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended.
How to Store Long Pepper?
Here are a few simple steps to follow in order to keep your Long pepper fresh for a longer duration.
- Store it in an airtight container and remember to close the lid of the container tightly as soon as you finish using it.
- Before storing the spikes in airtight containers, make sure the spikes, as well as the bottle, is thoroughly dried because the presence of moisture will cause the seeds to develop molds.
- Coloured bottles are a better option to store the spikes as it protects it from direct sunlight. If you are using clear bottles, remember to store it in closed cabinets or wall racks which do not receive direct sunlight.
- Store it away from stoves, ovens, windows and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the spikes to lose its strength and volatile content.
These are a few ways of how Zizira ensures the purity of all products:
We term it responsible because we work directly with the farmers who are well aware of pure Lakadong Turmeric and this is where we emphasize purity and quality. And we are responsible for only working with farmers who practice sustainable farming methods.
Knowing where the ingredients come from:
Zizira deeply cares about where every ingredient comes from. Over the years, the Zizira team has been able to build relationships with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and Zizira gives importance to providing pure and safe products to customers like you.
Evaluation of ingredients:
To provide you with the best products, Zizira selects the absolute best quality ingredients. The Zizira team as well as farmer partners share the same mission of prioritizing the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
All of Zizira's Products are Processed in-house in locations across Northeast India under the direct responsibility of Zizira
In the processing of food, several hazards can creep in. Zizira does not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. Zizira takes every precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facilities. That is done with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that is used.
Credible, Safe, and Wholesome:
Zizira follows a similar process for all products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. Zizira chooses whom to work with, partner with, to serve you in a way that makes a difference. Zizira’s continued effort and diligent work will contribute to your health, as well as to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
- product quality
Great flavour and nice quality.
Best quality of your products
Product quality is and aswell as packing
Natural ingredient with natural aroma
Love this product
Pure and original
The quality is great.