Both ginger and honey have their own individual health benefits. Ginger is a powerhouse of nutrients while honey is packed with its own health promoting properties. When combined together, they form a healthy concoction that can be beneficial for a variety of health-related problems. Apart from that, ginger honey serves as a delicious condiment that you can enjoy with a variety of snacks.
Benefits of Ginger and Honey
This healthy concoction is packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and even antibacterial and antiviral properties. Here’s how your body can benefit from this simple yet effective concoction.
- Ginger honey can aid in digestion
- Ginger honey can help relieve nasal congestion
- Ginger honey can provide relief from nausea and motion sickness
- Ginger honey can help ease cough and flu symptoms
- Ginger honey can help clear the throat and respiratory tract
Let’s look further into these health benefits.
1. Ginger Honey Can Aid in Digestion
Ginger is a great ingredient to help your digestive system by aiding in the secretion of digestive enzymes which combats indigestion and digestive issues. Hence, ginger honey is a great way to relieve an upset tummy or treat other digestive related issues such as bloating. Ginger and honey on an empty stomach have been known to boost the digestive system so ginger honey is your way to go.
2. Ginger Honey Can Help Relieve Nasal Congestion
Ginger is known for its expectorant properties which means it’s great for expelling mucus from the body. So, if you’ve got a stuffy or blocked nose, a spoonful of ginger honey directly consumed or mixed with warm water can do just the trick to help relieve the congestion.
3. Ginger Honey Can Provide Relief from Nausea and Motion Sickness
Ginger has been used to treat nausea for centuries. This is because ginger is known to to help neutralize the acids in the stomach. This remedy is so popular that even pregnant women swear by it to combat morning sickness. When you’re feeling nauseated after a long car ride, you can have some ginger honey to help settle your stomach.
4. Ginger Honey Can Help Ease Cough and Flu Symptoms
The soothing effects of antioxidant packed honey and the anti-inflammatory effects of ginger make the perfect match to treat cold and flu symptoms. The anti-inflammatory effects of ginger help ease the respiratory and tracheal airways while honey helps soothe and ease discomfort. So, if you’re sick in bed with a bad cough or have a case of the flu, having some ginger honey can help ease your throat and provide some relief.
5. Ginger Honey Can Help Boost Your Immunity
Due to the beneficial antioxidant properties present both in ginger and honey, ginger honey can help strengthen the body’s immunity. Having ginger honey on a regular basis can help your body’s defenses in fighting colds and other illnesses.
How to Make Ginger Honey
Ginger tea honey can be made using fresh grated or minced ginger but ginger powder can also be used. Once made, ginger honey can be stored for months and the infusion gets stronger with the passage of time.
Here are two simple recipes on how to make ginger honey.
Ginger Honey Recipe Using Fresh Ginger
This recipe calls for fresh ginger. Fresh ginger takes a while for it to get infused in the honey as compared to powdered dry ginger so it’s advisable to let the ginger honey mixture sit for a minimum of two weeks preferably in the sunlight.
- 1 empty glass jar
- 350 gms raw honey
- 5 inches grated raw ginger
- Mix the honey and ginger into the glass jar.
- Make sure the mixture is mixed well and does not contain any air bubbles.
- Place the infused honey in sunlight for about two weeks for the ginger to get nicely infused.
Ginger Honey Recipe Using Dry Ginger
This recipe uses dry ginger and since dry ginger mixes well with honey and the flavour gets infused almost instantly, you can use this ginger honey mixture as soon as you’re done combining the ingredients together!
- 1 empty glass jar
- 350 gms raw honey
- 5 tablespoons dry ginger powder
- Pour half of the honey into the glass jar.
- Add in the ginger powder and mix well.
- Pour the remaining honey and mix well until the ginger powder is nicely incorporated with the honey.
And there you have it! Your homemade ginger honey which can be used to help soothe the various ailments mentioned above. Besides being an effective homemade remedy, it also works well as a yummy condiment for your toast and snacks. Personally, I like adding my ginger honey to a cup of tea for some instant ginger tea or even to a cup of plain hot water a daily immune booster to keep myself rejuvenated and healthy!