Honey vs sugar - the debate has existed for quite some time and does not seem to conclude anytime soon. This blog aims at touching some basics about the best raw honey in India and sugar, the similarities, and differences, pros, and cons, etc. So, let’s get started! When you are making a cup of tea, what do you reach for on your kitchen counter? Honey or sugar?
When you are making a blend of concoctions for relieving cough, cold, and sore throat symptoms, what’s your go-to option? Honey or sugar? When you are making a cake blend at home, what would you favour more, raw honey or sugar? Ever pondered about these? While these questions may seem basic or mundane, the efficacy of sugar vs honey lies in the responses! Both honey and sugar act as sweetening agents for sweet savouries; however, their role and benefits may vary. While powdered sugar may make a better alternative than a few spoons of honey for cake blends, raw honey is favoured while making a healthy concoction.
Let’s delve deeper!
Honey - All You Need to Know
Honey, the molten golden syrup, has been around the corner for centuries. Apart from its culinary usage, pure natural honey has been widely celebrated for its endless medicinal attributes and thus has secured a top-notch place in the Ayurvedic school of medicine as well as other contemporary medicine streams. Water and two sugars - glucose and fructose make up the composition of indigenous honey mostly apart from traces of enzymes, amino acids, Vitamin - B, C, minerals, and antioxidants. While the sugars are responsible for the sweetening effect, the antioxidants, enzymes, and vitamins can be attributed to natural honey’s medicinal properties.
Raw honey is derived from the honeycomb structures erected by the horde of bees. It is mostly hand-squeezed and the nectar is extracted. So, it’s not surprising to find a few honeycomb structures or impurities, and the texture of raw honey is usually hazy. On the contrary, commercially processed honey appears transparent and is usually devoid of impurities. Commercially available pasteurized honey may contain moisture and runs the risk of losing some of its natural potency. Check out some of the best raw honey brands online!
Pure natural honey usually contains fructose sugar in a higher proportion than glucose, so, just a few teaspoons of honey will be enough to add that natural sweet taste to your savouries. Here are some of the top-notch raw honey benefits.
- Rich Source of Antioxidants - In today’s fast-paced life, oxidative stress-induced cellular damage due to free radicals is quite common. And, antioxidants have a pivotal role to play here in preventing such damages. Honey, the natural sweetening agent, is known to be rich in a host of antioxidants. Consistent consumption of pure honey may help you keep cellular damage, ageing, and a host of secondary health ailments at bay. Polyphenols found in pure honey online in abundance are also known to minimize the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Antibacterial, Antifungal Properties - Honey has been massively leveraged in folk medicines due to its antibacterial, antifungal properties as well as antiseptic properties due to the presence of hydrogen peroxide in it. However, these medicinal properties may vary based on the honey type, its purity quotient, the source from which honey is derived, etc.
- Wound Healing - Honey’s germ-killing and aiding in tissue regeneration attributes make it an ideal choice for healing wounds effectively.
- The Best Remedy for Sore Throat - Be it common cold or cough or sore throat, honey in its purest form is your go-to remedy. You may consume it directly or mix it with lukewarm water or prepare a concoction to reap the additional benefits of other healthy herbs, and ingredients.
- Digestive System Optimization - Honey is deemed a potent probiotic and helps soothe the digestive system lining and other related issues. It is known to stimulate the growth of good bacteria in the gut too.
- Weight Management - Worried about your weight gain? Well, pure honey is here to your rescue! Here’s how you can use raw honey for weight loss. A dash of honey with lemon and lukewarm water consistently in the morning for 6 to 8 weeks can aid in your weight loss or management regimen substantially.
- Skincare - Raw honey for skin has several benefits - from keeping the skin hydrated to keep the fine lines at bay to act as a potent moisturizer, etc. It is your best bet for obtaining glowing, supple, and youthful skin.
Despite its numerous benefits and usages, honey has got a downside too. It is not advised for kids under the age of 1 year. It is also considered high in calories and thus prohibited in diets for those who are especially planning to cut down their calories.
Sugar - All You Need to Know
Sugar, derived from the sugar beet or sugarcane plant, is essentially composed of glucose, and fructose, which is combined to form sucrose. Sugar has to undergo several processing phases to become refined, and thus is usually devoid of any sort of vitamins, and nutrients.
Sugar is considered a source of fast fuel for the body, low in calories, and is easy to use in baking, and cooking, unlike honey. And, sugar has a higher shelf life compared to raw honey.
On the downside, sugar might be harder to digits than honey, may lead to uncharacteristic weight gain, may put you at the risk of cardiovascular diseases, Type - 2 diabetes, etc.
Honey vs Sugar - What’s the Ultimate Verdict?
Well, as we have covered earlier in the article, honey vs sugar - is a yet-to-be-concluded debate. Both of these sweetening agents have their own set of pros and cons and usage perspectives.
So, it’s completely up to you how you would like to leverage them.