What is Dried and Roasted Bay Leaf?
The Indian bay leaf is scientifically known as Cinnamomum tamala or tej patta in Hindi. Originated in the southern slopes of the Himalayas, they are also found growing in Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and the North-Eastern hills of India. It is an endemic spice in most Indian cuisines from savoury to sweet dishes due to its distinctive fragrance and flavour.
However, it is also well-known for the medicinal properties it possesses. Presence of various nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin A and C along with folic acid (a type of vitamin B) makes it a highly beneficial herb.
If the leaves are eaten whole, they are pungent and have a sharp bitter taste. Its fragrance is more noticeable than its taste which when dried, it gives out a herbal and slightly floral fragrance which is due to the presence of essential oils like Myrcene and Eugenol in it.
What Is the Shelf-life of Bay Leaf?
Our Dried roasted bay leaf can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. The powder does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended when it exceeds the period of twelve months.
How to Store It?
To keep your Dried Roasted bay leaf powder fresh for a longer duration, store it away from direct sunlight, stoves, ovens, and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the blend to lose its flavour and strength.
Lakadong TurmericUsed for generations for multiple medicinal purposes, high curcumin Lakadong turmeric is bright yellowish-orange in colour, fresh with strong earthy and subtly flavour filled with a pleasant fruity aroma that makes it one of the finest turmerics in the world and health watchers’ favourite.
Our Mawsynram Honey has a beautiful golden-brown colour with a smooth and thick consistency. It is extremely flavorful with a mild citrus flavour filled with a refreshing aroma.
Dried and Roasted Bay Leaf
A perfect ingredient, this roasted bay leaf powder is a flavorful add on for your Garam Masala or to your soup seasoning. It is complex and strong. In Ayurveda, bay leaf is added in teas for treating cough and cold.
If you smell a dried bay leaf, you might not get as much aroma as you would. But this does not mean there is no flavour in it. When the herb is added into water, soup, or another cooking liquid, it develops an almost minty flavour (somewhere between spearmint and menthol).
Bay leaf powder adds a subtle bitterness that keeps heavy soups and stews from tasting so heavy.
What is Special About Lakadong Turmeric?
- Lakadong turmeric is known for its high Curcumin level. Many other varieties of turmeric have 3-5% curcumin content whereas our Lakadong turmeric has curcumin ranging from 7% to 12.32%. This makes the turmeric most beneficial for our health.
- Zizira sources it from remote parts of Meghalaya directly from the farmers who follow traditional practices without using chemicals such as pesticides and fertilizers.
- We also get each batch of our products tested in FSSAI approved labs to make sure it is not contaminated or adulterated after processing. We go the extra mile to make sure that our products are authentic and pure.
What’s Special About Mawsynram Honey?
- Zizira’s Mawsynram Honey is pure, natural, raw and unprocessed. It has been tested free of artificial additives, colouring agents or preservative. Its colour & flavour depends directly on the source (various flowers) of the nectar.
- Obtained from the traditional beekeepers of Meghalaya with years of indigenous knowledge, Zizira's pure Mawsynram Honey is obtained from sun-soaked pollens and nectar collected by bees during summers and winters.
- The beekeepers plant the flowers that the bees love or place the hive in a habitat filled with a variety of flowers and trees. Hence the flavour of this honey comes from these flowers that grow naturally around the bee's nest.
- Rainfall and micro-climate affect the flowers growing every season which gives the honey a unique identity.
- Local folks from Meghalaya love this honey for its delightful taste and for its multiple all-around uses.
What is Special About Dried Roasted Bay Leaf?
Zizira’s Dried roasted bay leaf powder is pure, and natural that is directly and traditionally sourced from the ethical farmers of Meghalaya.
Why This Product
The extra mile we take to ensure we provide the best- Our team travels to the most isolated and remote villages to source the best ingredients. We make sure that the ingredients we use in our products come straight from the farmers and beekeepers who make an effort in providing us with the purest and highly genuine produce.
These are a few ways how we ensure the purity of our products: -
- Knowing where our ingredients come from- We deeply care about where each and every ingredient we use comes from. Over the years our team has been able to build up relations with the ethical farmers and beekeepers of Meghalaya and what is important is that we give importance to providing pure and safe products to our customers.
- Evaluation of ingredients- To provide our customers with the best products, we make sure to select the absolute best ingredients with maximum quality. Both our team and our farmer partners share the same mission and we prioritize on the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
- Product safety- In the processing of food, we are aware of hazards that can creep in. We do not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical, or biological. We take every necessary precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facility. That is what we are doing with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that we use.
- Credible, Safe and Wholesome- We follow a similar process for all of Zizira's products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. We understand that the choices we make and who we work with, partner with, what and how we serve can make a difference. We believe that our continued effort and diligent work will contribute to the health of our customers, to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.
Health benefits of Lakadong Turmeric
Our Lakadong Turmeric has the maximum curcumin level and with it comes maximum health benefits. Some of its health benefits are as follows:
- Helps in reducing inflammation- Curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory compound that helps the body to fight against foreign substances. Without inflammation in the body, bacteria and germs can easily take over the body and lead to chronic diseases. Therefore, whatever substance that can help in treating chronic inflammation is of utmost importance. Curcumin is one of them and is a powerful anti-inflammatory substance that can fight chronic inflammation at a higher level.
- Increase antioxidant capacity- The main reason as to why antioxidants are extremely beneficial for the body is because it protects it from a substance that causes damage to the cells in our body. Curcumin will help in boosting our body’s own antioxidant defences.
- Lowers the risk of brain diseases- In our brain, there is a growth hormone that helps the brain to function. Many brain diseases are due to the decreased levels of this specific substance. Curcumin can help in increasing the levels of this substance and may help in lowering the risk of brain diseases and improves memory.
- May protect against Heart diseases- Curcumin may improve the function or health of the thin membrane that covers the inner layer of the heart and blood vessels. This membrane is responsible for regulating blood pressure. When the function of this membrane lowers, it leads to an increased risk of heart diseases. Thus, curcumin protects the heart against this function and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- May prevent or possibly help in treating rare diseases- Inflammation in the body is linked to the formation of tumours and anti-inflammatory compounds such as curcumin play a role in preventing various type of cancer. It helps in slowing the spread of cancer cells and may help in preventing it from forming.
- May help ease the symptoms of severe joint pains (arthritis)- Due to its potent anti-inflammatory activity, curcumin may be a safe and an effective option for preventing osteoarthritis (swelling of joints) and rheumatoid arthritis (inflammation in the lining of joints, especially in hands and fingers).
- Aids in weight loss- Obesity can lead to various health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, strokes, and other heart diseases. Curcumin helps by stabilizing metabolism and manages the weight. It controls the metabolism of fat and reduces the processes that are responsible for the growth of fatty tissues.
- A natural blood thinner- At times, there are some health conditions where blood-thinning agents are required to prevent blockages. Curcumin acts as a natural blood thinner in certain conditions where it helps in preventing the clotting of blood.
- Helps in diabetes- Curcumin helps in sensitizing insulin and helps in lowering the glucose level. These properties in it may help in dealing with both type1 (do not produce insulin) and type 2 (do not respond to insulin) diabetes.
- High blood pressure- Turmeric is commonly used in stabilizing the blood pressure and prevents hypertension linked to natural ageing.
Health benefits of honey
These are a few health benefits of honey.
- A good source of antioxidants- It contains many plant chemicals that act as antioxidants. These antioxidants help in protecting the cells of the body from getting damaged. Consuming antioxidant-rich foods may help in reducing the risk of rare diseases.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties- These properties in it helps in killing unwanted bacteria that enters the body. It contains a substance in it that acts as an antiseptic.
- Helps in healing wounds- Raw honey is effective in killing germs and aid in repairing tissues. It will enhance the healing time and lower risk of infections.
- Soothes sore throat- It is an old remedy that helps in relieving sore throat. It also helps in suppressing cough.
- Treating diarrhoea- Raw honey helps in reducing the symptoms of diarrhoea as it soothes the effect of digestions. It will help in treating mild diarrhoea in both children and adults. It helps in nourishing the good bacteria that are present in the intestines which are not only beneficial for digestion but our overall health.
- Useful in weight management- Honey may help in burning out body fats even while sleeping. It will help in increasing the metabolism which in turn helps in reducing weight.
- Protecting the brain- Honey has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory activities in it that is beneficial for the brain. It protects it from damage caused by exposure to lead and some of the constituents in it also helps in fighting inflammation in the brain.
- Nutritious- Honey contains various nutrients in it that makes it a healthy addition to your diet. The nutrition in it varies with the environments and depends on the types of flowers the bees collect their nectar from. But it still contains healthy compounds such as amino acids, antioxidants, and vitamins in it. Honey also contains natural sugars which makes it a healthier option than sugar.
- Increase athletic performance- Honey is good or is even better than glucose, sugar, or water in boosting the energy of athletes. It is a great source of carbohydrates and sugar and it helps in maintaining glycogen (helps in storing energy) levels and improves recovery time as compared to other sweeteners.
- Honey is better than sugar for diabetics- Honey increases blood sugar levels less as compared to sugar and it may also lower inflammation, fat levels and bad cholesterol, it is possibly a healthier option for people with diabetes but it should still be consumed with caution.
Health Benefits of Bay Leaves:
Bay leaves are a rich source of vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Regular inclusion of bay leaves in your diet improves overall health.
- Improves digestion- Bay leaves are believed to have excellent effects on the gastrointestinal system and also acts as a diuretic as it helps in stimulating urination. This effect further helps in decreasing toxicity by flushing out the toxic substances. Furthermore, the compounds that are present in bay leaves are highly effective in dealing with upset stomachs, soothing irritable bowel syndrome. Due to some complex proteins that are present in our diet, it makes it difficult to digest but the enzymes that are present in bay leaves facilitates efficient digestion and the intake of different nutrients.
- Helps in respiratory conditions- Bay leaves have powerful antibacterial properties in it and the essential oils in it help in alleviating respiratory conditions. It helps to loosen up the phlegm and eliminates harmful bacteria that may be trapped in the respiratory tract.
- Has anti-cancer properties- Bay leaves have a unique combination of antioxidants as well as other organic compounds such as phytonutrients, linalool, catechins, and parthenolide that helps in protecting the body from the harmful effects of cancer-causing free radicals or substances. These free radicals cause mutation of the healthy cells into cancer cells, but bay leaves may help in preventing this activity due to the abundant number of antioxidants and organic compounds in it. Cineole, one of the main compounds in bay leaves that help in suppressing the growth of cancer cells.
- Helpful for the heart- The organic compounds that are found in bay leaf which include caffeic acid and rutin helps in enhancing the health of the heart. These two compounds aid in strengthening the capillary walls that are present in the heart further helps in eliminating LDL or bad cholesterol from the cardiovascular system.
- Stress-buster- Stress is one very common condition in today’s world. You can add bay leaves to your daily diet in order to manage stress better. Chemical compound linalool which is present in it helps in lowering the stress hormones in the body which leads to calmness and combat symptoms of depression.
- Protects the body from inflammation- Bay leaves have an anti-inflammatory activity which is one of its most essential benefits. The presence of some unique Phyto-nutrients called parthenolide in it helps in reducing inflammation significantly which further reduces the chances of developing inflammation conditions like arthritis.
- Manages diabetes- Bay leaves are highly useful in the management of diabetes as they help in reducing the blood glucose level, cholesterol, and triglycerides. They directly improve the function of the insulin receptor and regulates blood sugar levels. This is because the antioxidants in bay leaf enable the body to help produce more insulin efficiently thus making it a good choice for diabetic patients who has insulin resistance.
- Antifungal property- Studies have suggested that bay leaves have antifungal properties that help in protecting the skin from any kind of unwanted microbes that causes infection or irritation. Regular consumption of bay leaf powder may help in creating a protective layer that may eliminate all sorts of microbial organisms from entering the membrane.
- Soothes sore throat and reduces cough- Bay leaves may clear up the respiratory system. It helps to unclog stuffy nasal passage and gets rid of the harmful bacteria.
- Boosts athletic performance- Bay leaves have caffeic acid in them and not only helps fight rare diseases, but it can also help in increasing exercise tolerance. It has a mild stimulant effect that reduces the levels of lactate which is commonly used in pre-workout supplements.
Here are the 10 ways you can use Lakadong Turmeric
- Golden milk: Infuse turmeric in boiling milk along with other spices like cinnamon, black pepper to extract the goodness of curcumin in the turmeric. Black pepper helps the body to absorb curcumin better.
- Golden honey: Turmeric is used to avoid certain sicknesses like the flu and cold. Mix turmeric powder and raw honey for a perfect Golden Honey remedy.
- Heal bruises: If you have a black eye, bruises or swelling apply a very basic turmeric paste to your eye. Notice a big difference within an hour, especially a reduction in the swelling.
- Create your own Turmeric Tea for healthy tea: Add 1tsp of Turmeric powder, 1tsp of Black pepper powder to a cup of boiling water. 1 tsp of virgin coconut oil, 3 slices of raw ginger and cinnamon for flavour. Stir them together and enjoy your cup of turmeric tea.
- Turmeric cake: If you love baking, you should try baking turmeric cake. It is a simple and delicious cake to bake especially if you are a vegan. You should try this out and surprise yourself. Make turmeric leaf cakes by steaming rice with grated coconut, rice and jaggery wrapped in turmeric leaves.
- Face mask: Use organic turmeric paste to fight pimples and breakouts. Regular use can also clear acne, scars and inflammation. It is a great exfoliator and gives a youthful glow to the skin.
- Soaps and shampoos: Turmeric soap can be interesting to make. You can add turmeric and other natural ingredients like calendula, coconut, lemongrass, amla and others. These are beneficial for the hair and cleanses your skin.
- Toothpaste for teeth whitening: Stop looking for that branded product and head straight to the pantry and find an ingredient that whitens teeth naturally.
- First aid for pets: Organic turmeric is useful to cure your pets of sickness. If you love your pets and they need medical attention for cuts or gastrointestinal disorder, feed them with this medicinal spice. It will cure your pet before you reach the vet.
- Pests repellent: Turmeric is a favourite food for us, but ants and other pests hate it. They avoid totter around it. To repel pests, especially ants, simply sprinkle turmeric powder around the corner, or anywhere near the ant traces.
Here Are 10 Ways You Can Use Honey
- Honey citrus syrups for soothing sore throat and cold- Mix a tablespoon of honey and half a teaspoon of lemon juice together and consume it daily for soothing sore throat and cold.
- Ginger honey for stomach issues- Mix a tablespoon of honey with half a teaspoon of ginger powder or ginger juice together. You can add this to your teas or consume it directly to get relief from stomach issues.
- Honey as a moisturizer for cracked heels- Warm two tablespoons of honey and add one tablespoon of milk to it. Gently mix it and add 1 teaspoon of orange juice/lemon juice to it. Mix it properly and apply it on the affected area massaging it for a few minutes and leaving it for 45 minutes and rinse. Do this twice a day for better results.
- Honey and brown sugar for dry skin- The texture of brown sugar makes it ideal for the removal of dead skin. Mix 1 teaspoon of brown sugar with a tablespoon of honey along with a few drops of olive oil/coconut oil to it. Apply this mixture on your skin and gently massage for a few minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Honey and coconut water for sore muscles- Coconut water helps in dehydration which is the main reason for sore muscles. Adding a teaspoon of honey to it with a few drops of lemon juice will increase the effect of coconut juice and helps in overcoming dehydration.
- Honey and turmeric for oral ulcers- Mixing a teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder together and applying this mixture to sore gums may help in relieving it from pain.
- Honey mask for oily hair- This mask incorporates an egg yolk and a tablespoon of honey. Mix them together and apply this all over your hair from roots to tips. Leave it for 1 hour and rinse it with warm water.
- Honey spread- Snack it from the jar and use it as a spread on bread, buns, or slices of cakes. It is an awesome pair for baking your favourite cakes substituting your sugar with it.
- Honey drizzle- Drizzle the honey over your favourite desserts and fruits. It will give your oatmeal that extra sweetness needed along with a whole bunch of healthy goodness.
- Honey as a sweetener- Add a teaspoon of honey as a natural sweetener in your favourite drinks such as juices, golden milk, coffee, or teas.
Here Are Some Ways You Can Use Dried and Roasted Bay LeafTej Patta chai
- 1 cup of water and 1 cup of milk
- 1-2 tsp of black tea leaves
- 1tsp of dried roasted bay leaf powder
- A slice of ginger
- Honey for a little sweetness
- Add water and milk into a container and bring it to a boil.
- Add the tea leaves and boil it for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the ginger and bay leaf powder into it and keep boiling for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and strain it into a cup.
- Add honey according to your preference.
- Take a vessel. Fill it with water and boil
- Once heated add 24 pieces of cloves and cover the lid. Let it boil for more than 10 minutes, till the water changes to pale yellow.
- Add 1 tbsp of bay leaf powder and stir it. Let it boil for 10 minutes
- Turn off the flame and let it cool. Strain out the water into a bowl. Apply this directly on the scalp and massage. Leave it overnight and rinse.
- This will get rid of dry hair as well as dandruff.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water to 1 and a half tablespoon of bay leaf powder to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your skin to heal cuts, bruises, and insect bites.
- Sprinkle a pinch of bay leaf powder on your toothpaste before brushing. It helps keep teeth healthy and clean.
- Take 1 tsp of the dried roasted bay leaf powder.
- Put it in a vessel and add 2 cups of water.
- Boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Let it cool and drink the concoction for relief.