Health Benefits of Lemongrass
Lemongrass offers a wide range of health benefits apart from flavoring a variety of foods. Here are some of the health benefits of lemongrass.
- Aids in digestion - Because of its refreshing and cooling effect, it helps in soothing the stomach and keeps the digestive tract in check. An active component “citral” which is present in it helps in digesting the food and thus helps deal with stomach issues like bloating, constipation, and indigestion.
- A powerhouse of antioxidants - Lemongrass chunks have been preferably used in teas to help detox. Its rich antioxidant properties help in detoxifying and cleansing the body from within.
- May help in dealing with high blood pressure - It has a rich potassium content that helps in increasing the production of urine in the body which further helps in increasing the circulation of blood and lowers the blood pressure.
- Aids in boosting the metabolism - Lemongrass is a key ingredient that helps in boosting the metabolism which in turn helps in boosting digestion.
- May help deal with pain - The presence of citral in it helps in dealing with pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Caution Diabetic patients, expecting and breastfeeding mothers should consult a doctor before its consumption.
How to use Lemongrass?
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 to 3 teaspoons of dried lemongrass chunks
- Steep for at least five minutes
- Strain the tea
- Enjoy hot or add ice cubes for iced lemongrass tea
- 250 g lemongrass chunks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 L of water
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 4 large ice cubes
- Heat 1 L of water in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add in the lemongrass and simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Strain the water into a large jug.
- Add the sugar and salt, stir well until dissolved, and pour the mixture into another pan.
- Bring it to a boil and remove it from the flame. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add some ice cubes to a glass and pour the juice over it.
- Serve chilled.