Most popular drinks are fizzy, concentrated and sometimes alcoholic. They can cause heart disease, liver damage and premature ageing in the long run.
A healthy nutritious drink like turmeric milk or turmeric golden milk can do wonders for your health.
What is turmeric milk?
It is amazing to see how things I grew up with have suddenly attracted so much attention. Turmeric milk is one of them. Now, it is commonly called as ‘Golden Milk’ or ‘Turmeric Gold Milk’.
Turmeric milk is the best remedy passed on to us by our ancestors. I have memories of my mother making Haldi Doodh for me, when I came down with cold or cough or body pain when I was a kid. But back then I would make hundred reason to not drink it and I never really valued its benefits, until the time when I started to learn more about it. There are number of benefits of drinking turmeric milk.
Every home has their own recipe of Turmeric milk. My Granny’s recipe of turmeric milk is way different from my mom's. With time we all have re-invented the recipe of turmeric golden milk.
I also remember whenever I would go visit my Nanu (Granny) and complain about not feeling well, she would say that they had the best quality food at their time and now all we have is ‘Ready to Cook’ meals or chemically processed. I am sure all Granny are the same and they are the cutest. I have realized over the years that ingredients matter. When you want to heal your body, it is important to make sure you are using good quality products. It is very important to know the source of your food.
As a food products company working from the heart of a region producing high-quality Lakadong turmeric we have first-hand info to share with you.
Zizira operates from Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya in the Northeast part of India – a region known for its verdant landscape, natural springs that irrigate fields, and unique herbs and spices. We procure a turmeric variety called Lakadong turmeric which is a speciality of Meghalaya and has very high curcumin content. We source them directly from a network of farmers we work with and we process it under our supervision.
Explore our stories about Lakadong turmeric farmers and more.
12 Benefits of Turmeric Milk/Haldi Milk
Turmeric is a versatile spice used in many Indian household from cooking to medicinal purposes.
The health benefits of drinking turmeric milk are linked to turmeric and its active ingredient, curcumin. It is an antioxidant known for its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties has a powerful ability to fight inflammation and internal disorders such as indigestion, throat infections and common colds. And Zizira’s Lakadong turmeric naturally has one of the highest curcumin content.
Here are the top 12 benefits of drinking Turmeric Milk:
- Ease cough and cold.
- Helpful for high blood pressure.
- It is loaded with antioxidants which help protect cells from damage, fight off disease and infections and contribute to the overall health.
- Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce inflammation and joint pain.
- Milk known for rich in calcium and Vitamin D depending on the milk you use. Both milk and turmeric can contribute to stronger Bones
- The ingredients used in Turmeric Golden milk like ginger is loaded with antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties which may strengthen your immune system as well. Talking about ginger you must check the Ing Makhir Ginger which is potent than normal ginger.
- Turmeric, cinnamon and Ginger the main ingredient used in Turmeric milk may lower blood sugar level.
- Turmeric milk drink has strong anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce inflammation and joint pain.
- Ginger and turmeric, two ingredients in Turmeric Golden milk, may help relieve indigestion.
- Turmeric Golden Milk may help to fights allergies.
- Aids in weight loss.
- May help in purifying blood.
Now that we know the benefits, let us answer some of the burning question on Turmeric Golden Milk.
1. Is turmeric milk good and what Are Its Benefits?
Yes it is! Milk contains valuable nutrients like calcium, protein, potassium and phosphorus which are essential for your health. Turmeric contains an important compound called curcumin which is a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory effects. Combine milk and turmeric you get turmeric milk!
You can add sugar or honey to sweeten it.
Some of the health benefits of drinking turmeric milk everyday are said to be: improved digestion, reduced blood sugar levels, reduced joint pain and inflammation. It can also help you relieve indigestion while eliminating bloating and gas.
You might also want to try our Lakadong Ker, which is a blend of spice. Lakadong Ker is a turmeric milk blend readily available in a jar. It is a blend of ingredient which is directly source from farmers of Meghalaya who follow traditional farming. It consists of Zizira’s very own Lakadong turmeric, Ginger, Black cardamom, Long pepper and Black pepper.
2. Does Turmeric Milk Boost Immunity?
Yes, in fact, drinking turmeric milk drink can do wonders, especially if you are prone to viral infections and diseases. It has been proven to be one of the best natural home remedies to improve immunity. Drinking turmeric golden milk everyday can help prevent cold and flu by increasing mucus which naturally flushes out microbes that clog your respiratory tract. (Source)
So, the recommendation is not just to drink it off and on but get the most by drinking turmeric milk every day.
3. Does Turmeric Dissolve in Milk?
No, turmeric does not dissolve in milk. It will settle at the bottom. It is safe to consume, however, if you do not prefer, you can sieve the milk.
You can also mix our Lakadong Ker with milk directly. Our recommended direction of use is to add 1/2 teaspoon of Lakadong Ker to 250ml of milk and serve while hot. It tastes good in cold milkshakes too.
4. Will Turmeric Golden Milk Make You Lose Weight?
No guarantees! But depending upon your daily intake it could support weight reduction. It is no weight loss miracle, but by drinking turmeric milk along with regular exercise to help attain weight loss. Curcumin in turmeric prevents fat accumulation in your adipose tissues.
Do not use full cream milk, you can use half cup milk and half cup water.
Turmeric Milk helps in reducing milk "Turmeric may also improve the digestion of fat by increasing your production of bile by up to 62%. "
"In a study, overweight individuals were put under weight loss treatment through diet and lifestyle interventions. Some of them did not show significant weight loss and were then treated with curcumin. These individuals after the curcumin treatment showed an enhanced weight loss. There was a significant increase in fat reduction and BMI was also found to decline considerably." (Source)
5. Can Turmeric (Haldi) Milk Give You a Good Night Sleep?
Yes, it can. Turmeric milk can make your body feel relaxed, put you in a calm mood and help induce you to sleep. Drinking turmeric milk every day, before going to bed, is an old-age remedy for insomnia.
6. How to prepare turmeric milk?
No burning questions about turmeric milk will be complete without mentioning the recipe for it.
This is a creamy cold version.
Ingredients required (for 2 servings):
- 1/2 teaspoons Lakadong Ker/Haldi
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon thick cream
- 1 250 ml cup of milk or almond milk
- 1 cup water (or less)
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Take a blender and add all these ingredients into it.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour in a cup and serve the delicious goodness.
You can watch the recipe here:
Here's another recipe for you to try.
Lakadong Ker Latte Recipe
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Lakadong Ker
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (filter coffee can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- Heat the milk in a pan along with 1 teaspoon Lakadong Ker. Remove from heat before it starts to boil.
- With a small whisk beat the liquid till it starts foaming.
- Heat the water in another pan along with the coffee until it dissolves (if using filter coffee, strain the coffee after heating).
- Then pour the hot coffee in a serving cup first then add the honey.
- Pour the Golden milk over the coffee and stir, sprinkle some cinnamon powder and enjoy.