For many people out there, there is no better feeling than waking up to a nice cup of coffee. The rich aroma and flavour are no stranger to those who enjoy this popular beverage. While its preparation may vary from place to place, the general use of this beverage is no more novel than consuming tea itself.
Historically, it was first experienced by an Ethiopian monk, when he noticed that his goats would demonstrate an energetic spirit after eating a certain type of berries. The monk experimented by preparing a drink and sharing them with other monks as it gave an energizing or awakening effect. And that’s how coffee was birthed, sort of. This also suggests us that coffee was first consumed simply by brewing coffee beans.
What is a Black Coffee?
Black coffee is simply a mixture of water and coffee without any cream. It should be served without any additional flavors like honey, cream, or milk. The addition of these ingredients may change the coffee's aroma and color, turning it lighter-brown or white. In the major parts of the world coffee can be seen as a drink which makes us active, which can also help aid us in performing daily activities. It is the kick of caffeine, which usually sharpens our mind and make them active.
Although there are two options prepared for those who does not want to be indulged in caffeine nowadays. Warning! Caffeine addiction is real. The simplest way to get a kick of caffeine from coffee can be prepared just by pouring boil water on grounded coffee through filter to remove the grains.
Black coffee is usually served with no milk, but one can add sugar for taste. Traditionally many recipes have been developed in Middle East with a blend of various spices in black coffee.
Arabica coffee has a higher percentage of consumption around the world popularly known for its aromas, fruity taste, high acidity and attains low caffeine. On the other hand, Robusta coffee contains low acidity, bitter taste but high on caffeine compared to arabica coffee. So, a consumer can have their own preferences.
Different Types of Black Coffee
Espresso coffee originated from Italy, and it is more of a concentrated coffee shot, prepared by pressuring hot water through grounded coffee beans using an espresso machine. It does not require a specific type of coffee bean to make an Espresso. The coffee bean can be roasted according to one’s preference: light, medium, or dark.
A well-prepared Espresso creates a layer of dark golden cream. It is usually consumed in 2-3 gulps but as a common practice, one should first breathe in the aroma of the coffee before gulping it.
Espresso is known to be one of the bases of most popular coffee.
Ristretto coffee is known to be a very strong type of coffee. It is prepared from a shot of espresso also known as short black. In it, the caffeine is extracted in minimal ratio and maintain water with minimum contact to the grid.
It is known to be less bitter as compared to Espresso.
Long Black Coffee is produced by combining two shots of Espresso or Ristretto with hot water. Long Black coffee is a water-based coffee comparable to Americano.
Long Black Coffee has a stronger flavor, a higher concentration of espresso and a layer of cream on top. In most cases, it is served in a tall cup or mug. Popular in New Zealand and Australia.
Drip Coffee is as simple as the name suggest wherein boiling water drips through ground coffee. It is a filter process which settles in a pot. It is a time-consuming process no doubt, but the result will be a much more concentrated and stronger coffee.
Iced Black Coffee is one of the simplest ways of consuming black coffee. Pour cool brewed coffee into a tumbler of ice cubes. To make the taste more amazing we can also add certain syrups also.
Frappe is very popular in places where the weather is hot. It originated in Cyprus, Greece, and is quite popular among young people and visitors.
Preparation involves 1-2 teaspoon of coffee, ice cubes, sugar and little amount of cold water is added to create a blend thus forming a foam. It is served in tall glass with straw. For health concerned people, you can prepare the coffee without evaporated milk or sugar.
Flavored Coffee may sound new to us, but it actually originated some 100 years ago in Middle East. Although nowadays flavored coffee is known to be prepared with chemical flavoring, but that is not the case in Middle East countries where it is prepared by roasting coffee blended with spices and nuts.
Americano Coffee is an espresso mixed with extra hot water, cold water or adding ice cubes. The addition of water creates lighter version of Espresso and less bitter in taste. It is not bound to a particular type of coffee bean. The process is to pour hot water on Espresso.
It is known to have originated during World War 2 by American soldiers in the battlefields of Europe.
Irish Coffee is a popular Irish coffee recipe known all around the world. Its addition of Irish whiskey, cream, shot of Espresso and sugar makes it an instant favorite among people. It came into existence when experimenting the drink during 1950’s.
What are the benefits of drinking Black Coffee?
Here are a couple of health benefits associated with black coffee:
- Black coffee is a calorie free beverage although sugar is not advisable to add. It can help maintain weight and can suppress eating habits between meals thus increasing the metabolism.
- It is known that inflammation in the body is also reduced by drinking black coffee. Antioxidants are abundant in black coffee. Vitamin B2, B3, B5, manganese, potassium, and magnesium are all found in black coffee.
- Drinking black coffee daily lowers the risk of diabetes, which can lead to organ damage and heart disease later in life.
- Black coffee contains chlorogenic acid that helps to slow down the production of glucose. It is advisable to drink a cup of black coffee after a meal to slow down the formation of glucose in our body.
- The caffeine helps stimulates our nervous system and rush in adrenaline levels in our blood. Regular consumption of black coffee has shown to help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Liver being a vital organ for keeping our body healthy. Some studies include that coffee helps reduce secretion of harmful enzymes in liver which can cause liver cancer or liver cirrhosis.
- Drinking black coffee is known to keep your brain healthy and boost memory keeping our nerves strong
- It can reduce stress and tension. It is a magical drink stimulating our neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin.
- Last but not the least, the Alzheimer’s disease usually in the age group of 60-65 years can reduce the risk as the studies suggest.
It is advisable to drink black coffee in a certain amount as too much consumption may lead to anxiety. It may disturb your sleep routine if taken before bed. Too much caffeine may lead to acidity and reduce the absorption of minerals in your body. So, drink coffee responsibly.
Black Coffee Uses
- Coffee powder is known to remove dead skin cells and can maintain smooth and brighter skin.
- Coffee face mask can help improve blood circulation in the skin with better oxygen flow to the skin cells thus making our skin healthy and glowing.
- It is known to have a healing property that can reduce inflamed skin, itchy skin, skin irritation etc.
- It has a chemical property called polyphenols which are a group of antioxidants that can help slow down the ageing process, photo ageing etc.
- Vital nutrients in coffee powder can help make a tired skin appear healthier thus resulting in brighter and glowing complexion.
How to make Black Coffee for Weight Loss?
Black coffee is known to play an important role in weight loss. The caffeine rich drink has shown benefits in prevention of stress, tension, cancer etc. Around the world about 80% population drinks coffee every day in different amounts. Only few people know about the connection between black coffee and weight loss.
- The recipe is hot/cold water mixed with coffee powder or through grounded beans. There are various people who may not like the taste of bitter taste of coffee without sugar.
- In the Middle East black coffee are blended with spices and nuts. We can learn the recipe to make our coffee less bitter in taste. One can add nut milk or cream in black coffee which can enhance some flavor.
- But it is better to take black coffee without adding the above recipe, if you want to shed extra kilos from your body.
- The caffeine in black coffee with its chlorogenic acid can help increase metabolism activity by suppressing hunger. Although make sure to avoid adding sugar or other sweeteners to make it a low-calorie drink.
- Furthermore, black coffee is an all-natural healer. Many people gain weight because of their extra water weight. Through regular urine, black coffee aids in the removal of excess water from the body. This approach aids in weight loss without causing any dangerous side effects.
- Black coffee causes weight loss temporarily. It to eliminate the undesired wastewater and fluid accumulation in the body through urination. This is because it contains a high amount of caffeine.
- If fat content in our body is maintained, it may result in permanent weight loss by burning calories.
- Black coffee before workout has resulted as the best way to burn calorie.
The simple brew of coffee travelled from Middle East to Europe, America, Africa and Asia from which it developed different varieties of black coffee such as Espresso, Americano to name a few. Studies have shown different health benefits of the caffeine content has helped in stimulating nervous system, weight loss and several uses in skin products in prevention from ageing, removing dead skin cells.
Pure black coffee does impart positive aspects in our health and regular consumption is seen vital. But intake in excess amount of coffee can create a negative impact in our health. It is advisable to drink regularly in specific times and amounts, to avoid its negative aspects.
We're excited to launch our 100% Arabica Hand-Roasted Beans all the way from the coffee-growing hills and valleys of Meghalaya.