Mexican fried rice is a perfect go-to-dinner food. A delicious alternative to mainstream dinner meal. It symbolizes a fiesta of colors and ingredients. It’s like popping a spoonful of carnival inside your mouth.
An ideal vegan and gluten free meal enriched with aroma and taste. This recipe comes together in just one single pot – quick and easy! You can throw in your most cherished veggies and add your own flair to it. Although, this recipe contains simple ingredients, it promises rich taste! Bon Appetite!
Ingredients for Mexican Fried Rice:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chicken masala or homemade masala mixture.
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- 2 chopped Bird’s eye chilli whole
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup Khasi red rice
Note: Please adjust the amount of Szechuan pepper and Bird’s eye chilli as per your taste. Recommend starting with half the amount and working your way up!
Preparation of Mexican Fried Rice:
- Start by cooking the rice – take 1 and a half cups of Khasi red rice. Rinse the rice and place in a large skillet, add few drops of oil and 500 ml of water. Cover the skillet with a lid. Cook for 20 minutes or more till the water is absorbed. Turn the heat to medium and leave a small opening for the steam to escape.
- Take a mortar and pestle and crush the Szechuan pepper and Bird’s eye chilli together into a rough flakey mixture.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the skillet and place it in a bowl.
- Heat the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of oil – add the onion, ginger and sauté it for 4 minutes. After that add the crushed pepper mixture and chicken masala and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the bell pepper and corn kernels and sauté for 2 minute before adding the tomato paste. Add ½ cup of water and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the rice and toss well until it turns brown! Garnish with coriander for freshness and aroma.
- Serve hot.