Ginger is renowned for its taste elevating properties and is almost a ‘must have’ in Asian cooking. Its use is so common that at times one tends to forget that ginger has many medicinal properties too. This spice is of special interest to Zizira explorers as many farmers grow ginger in Meghalaya the natural way – without the use of chemicals.
Before we tell you about a ginger farmer we met, let us share with you ginger plant medicinal uses. Here is a list curated from research papers and publications. Before we start, here is who we are.
Zizira is a food products company which operates from Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya in the Northeast part of India – a region known for its verdant landscape, natural springs that irrigate fields, and unique herbs and spices.
We partner with trustworthy farmers to create unique products for discerning Indian customers who appreciate quality, ethically sourced ingredients. We are on a Journey to release the farming potential of Meghalaya and of its farmers. Ginger is a speciality spice of Meghalaya.
Read our story – how our conscious business is making a difference to the community of farmers of our state Meghalaya.
Ginger – The One Spice Medicine Cabinet
- Relief from Skin irritation: When suffering from skin irritation or burning sensation, cut a slice of the ginger and apply it directly on your skin for fast relief.
- Insect bite remedy: The essential oil extract of ginger can be diluted and applied on the skin for a soothing effect and relief from insect bites.
- Stomach trouble: Ginger can also treat most stomach ailments that include motion sickness, colic in infants, stomach disorder due to flatulence and diarrhoea.
- After effects of Chemotherapy: Nausea as a side effect caused during chemotherapy treatment can be cured using ginger.
- Joint Pain: Ginger can relieve joint pain for arthritic patients.
- Respiratory tract infections: bronchitis and cough can be healed consuming ginger induced ale or tea.
- Controls blood sugar level: Ginger helps regulate and reduce the blood sugar level in diabetic patients suffering from high sugar level.
- Anti-inflammatory: People with chest or back pain can easily be relieved using ginger due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Doctors recommend ginger as a substitute to antiemetic drugs for the prevention of vomiting in patients undergoing day case surgery.
In addition to these benefits, ginger is said to be a natural fat burner and helps reduce weight as it enhances the expansion of blood vessels and heat production of the body, burning the excess fat stored. It helps detoxify your body and stimulates blood circulation, further elevating the wellness of the body. Such are the exceptional properties of ginger and they grow in plenty in the warmer parts of the beautiful green hills of Meghalaya.
Note: The above are not recommendations. Please consult a qualified doctor to address any health issues. For a healthy living, traditionally cultivated ginger is a salutary alternative to the regular ones.
Meghalaya’s Naturally Grow Nadia ginger
It was an exciting ‘discovery’ for Zizira explorers - to find ginger cultivated using traditional farming techniques, that could be called ancestral traditions, in a small village called Mawtneng in the Ri Bhoi district of Meghalaya.
The farmers here solely depend on their traditional farming methods, done naturally with the assistance of the seasonal rain and mulching using animal manures, forest litters and straw.
The process of mulching is mandatory as it protects the seedlings from damage during heavy rain. It also prevents the growth of weed on the seed beds and helps to maintain the softness of the soil by retaining the moisture. Nadia ginger locally known as ‘Syieng Bah’ is one of the species of ginger that is grown in Meghalaya and is cultivated using traditional farming methods.