Is Turmeric Safe for You?
The key aspect of turmeric consumption is the quantity. Turmeric is safe for most people when consumed as a spice used in cooking your food, which means it is in very small amounts.However, if taken in large doses, turmeric can have unpleasant side effects. Some supplements contain up to 500 milligrams of turmeric extract, which when taken regularly can be a cause of concern for some people.
5 Situations When You Should Limit Intake of TurmericGiven below are few red flags that indicate you should limit your intake of turmeric. (Please note that the key word here is LIMIT)
- Pregnant or lactating women – Yes, this one surprised me too! Turmeric is popularly said to work as a uterine stimulant and is beneficial in regularizing menstruation. Hence, it is advisable to stop any curcumin supplements during pregnancy and lactation.
- Blood Thinning medication – Turmeric has blood thinning properties. According to the National Institutes of Health, turmeric may slow blood clotting. If you take blood-thinning medication, consult with your doctor before eating turmeric in food or taking curcumin supplements.
- Before undergoing surgery – Due to the blood thinning side effects of turmeric, limit taking turmeric at least two weeks before any surgical procedure.
- Diabetic patients – Turmeric may lower blood sugar! Avoid turmeric if you take diabetes medications since turmeric could cause your blood sugar to fall even further. This could result in hypoglycemia.
- Patients with Gallbladder obstruction – Curcumin and black pepper can prevent gallstone formation. But if you already suffer from gallstones, high doses of curcumin can cause the gallbladder to contract and this can lead to severe pain.
The Absorption of Turmeric in Our BodyIt is common knowledge that all the goodness of turmeric comes from the curcumin present in it! But sadly, curcumin is not absorbed by the body easily! However, taking turmeric with black pepper and fats increases the absorption of curcumin in the body. Do you know turmeric can undo health problems of more than 30 deadly diseases? Download this ebook to find out more.
How Much of Turmeric Is Good?
The Golden Lakadong Turmeric Paste is a healthy way of taking turmeric. You can take 1-2 teaspoons once or twice a day. Here is some information about various ways you can take turmeric. So, after all this, I am ready to answer the question that popped up on my Facebook Messenger! Yes, turmeric is safe for consumption if you are not undergoing any of the conditions mentioned above. However, do make sure you are consuming pure and naturally grown turmeric. Zizira’s Lakadong Turmeric is known as the world’s best for its high curcumin content, tremendous health benefits and for the way it is procured from traditional farmers of Meghalaya.