Do you have sensitive skin? If you do, then your skin is most likely to react to the slightest irritation and it may become inflamed and reddened. You may have to find a way to remove this skin irritation.
Folks with sensitive skin need to apply products that have a calming effect and perilla seed oil may be one such. It contains a good amount of essential fatty acids that calm and soothes sensitive skin. Besides this, it also provides a number of other health benefits that will leave your skin fresh, glowing and hydrated.
Before that, let me tell you a little about Perilla seed. It grows in the state of Meghalaya in the Northeast of India where Zizira operates from.
Perilla is known as Bhanjeera in Hindi, and 'Nei Lieh' in Khasi, is a herb that belongs to the mint family, Lamiaceae.
Perilla seeds are aromatic and they have a delicious nutty flavour. They are used as a spice and makes delicious chutneys and salads. The locals of Meghalaya roast and ground perilla seeds, and mix them with vegetables such as radish, boiled bitter gourd, cabbage to make healthy nutritious salads.
Perilla oil is used in southeast Asian cooking – especially Korean cooking. Zizira sources perilla seeds directly from the farmers we work with. Perilla seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and is said to have many health benefits.
In this post we tell you about perilla oil benefits.
What Exactly is Perilla Seed Oil?
Perilla seed oil is extracted from the seeds of the Perilla plant. The plant is a leafy, bushy, herb that belongs to the mint family and it is also known as Shiso. It has a robust, minty aroma, which is like cinnamon and licorice. It grows to a height of around 4 feet, in light to medium moist and well-drained soil with a lot of sunlight.
The young leaves and seedlings are edible parts of the plant and can be eaten raw or cooked. The leaves of perilla plant are used as a spice and are usually fried or combined with rice, soups, fish curries and vegetable salads.
The essential oil extracted from the seed is used for flavoring tofu, plum pickles, candies, and sauces. Both the leaves and seed of perilla plant have essential nutrients including protein, antioxidants and fatty acids. The perilla oil is also a healthy cooking oil, that you can use to sauté vegetables or for salad dressings.
Perilla oil benefits include use in treatment of asthma, to soothe stomachache, and to relieve muscle spasms. The perilla plant contains important nutrients such as alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acid.
Perilla seed oil is extracted by using the cold-pressed method and the seeds are roasted first for a more intense flavor. It is said to contain compounds such as alpha-linolenic acid (a form of omega-3 to plant sources).
Fatty acids profile in perilla seed: On average, perilla seed yield 35% to 45% oil, with half or more of it (54 to 64%) being ALA alpha linolenic acid. About 14% linolenic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. The rest is oleic acid, an omega-9 fatty acid. (Source)
Here are 5 Perilla Oil Benefits
Perilla seed can be used both for medicinal and culinary purposes. Some of the important perilla oil benefits include:
- Aids in anti-inflammatory activity: Perilla seed oil contains several compounds such as the omega-3 fatty acid and Rosmarinic acid. Both these compounds have shown results of suppressing and lowering the levels of inflammation in the body. These compounds help relieve inflammation and suppress allergy-causing agents.
- Aids in promoting good HDL: This oil contains an impressive amount of Omega-3 fatty acid and small amounts of Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acid. Consumption of Omega-3 helps in raising HDL (good cholesterol) while lowering the bad cholesterol levels. Thus, it aids in the prevention of cholesterol plaques on the inner artery walls and subsequent high blood pressure and heart attack.
- Aids in reducing oxidative stress: One more perilla oil benefit is as a good source of potent antioxidants such as rosmarinic acid, shishonin, apigenin, quercetin, luteolin and essential oil fatty acid with strong antioxidant activity. The antioxidants protect against the harmful actions of reactive oxygen that causes oxidative stress. Free radicals cause damage at the cellular level that disrupt the normal cell function which is where the antioxidants help.
- Effective against allergies: The Rosmarinic acid in perilla oil helps to inhibit the inflammatory activity, thus aiding in the prevention of seasonal allergy. The oil extract from the perilla can also improve the lung function and breathing problem of people suffering from asthma.
- Excellent for skin care: The Rosmarinic acid in the perilla seed oil aids in an effective treatment of atopic dermatitis. The oil is wonderful for calming the skin, and regular application is good for dry skin. The oil also helps reduce clogged pores. It also helps cysts and acne when applied topically.
These are some of the perilla oil benefits. Do you know of any health benefit associated with perilla seed oil? Share with us in the comment section below.
Read a story about a perilla farmer that team zizira has met and works with.