Mulberries, often referred as ‘Shahtoot‘ in Hindi, ‘Kambali Pandu‘ in Telugu, ‘Mucukkattaip palam’ in Tamil, ‘Hippunerale‘ in Kannada, ‘Shetur‘ in Guajrati, ‘Tutee‘ in Marathi and ‘Shatut‘ in Punjabi.
What is Mulberry Fruit?Mulberries are sweet fruits from a genus of deciduous trees that grow in a variety of temperate areas around the world. It is thought to have possibly originated in China. Since then, they have spread throughout the world. They are used widely for their unique flavor, as well as their impressive and unusual composition of nutrients. This fruit comes in several varieties which can be differentiated in terms of color - red, black and blue. Usually eaten in a dried form, it is a versatile fruit and can be easily integrated into various recipes. Download the 54 Rare Medicinal plants available in Meghalaya and their uses.
History of Mulberry FruitIn the past, mulberry trees were cultivated for the purpose of sericulture (rearing silkworm). Silkworms feed on mulberry leaves and produce silk. The practice of sericulture began in China. This was passed down to India through the Tibetan folks during the year 140 B.C and took place near the banks of the river Brahmaputra and Ganga.
What Are the Health Benefits of Mulberry Fruit (Shahtoot)?Mulberry is a rich source of protein, vitamin C and K, fiber, and iron which gives it incredible health benefits. Here are 7 health benefits of Mulberry fruit:
- Supports positive effects on aging: A good source of antioxidants, it helps lessen the damage of free radicals. According to this study, the entire mulberry plant contains antioxidants. This plant has one prominent antioxidant called resveratrol, which according to this research, credits it for having positive effects on age and longevity.
- Supports healthy immune system: Mulberry fruit contains certain alkaloids that activate Macrophages which are a type of white blood cells that tackle infection.
- Supports healthy blood sugar level: Study suggests that mulberry fruit suppresses the elevation of blood sugar level and thus balances and controls the sugar level. Traditional medicinal practices in China, Trinidad, and Tobago use the leaves of the mulberry plant to promote balanced blood sugar level.
- Supports healthy brain: A research institute at Khon Kaen University, Thailand conducted a study which included experiments on the effects of a mulberry plant with memory impairment and brain damage. Although further investigation is yet to be conducted, it has been declared that mulberry fruit enhances cognitive and neuroprotectant of the brain. This elevates better memory and less oxidative stress.
- Supports healthy bone tissue: Mulberry fruit is rich in Vitamin K, calcium, iron and contains traces of phosphorous and magnesium which is beneficial for the healthy maintenance of bone tissue.
- Supports digestive health: The fruit is a good source of dietary fiber in a single serving. The dietary fiber in this fruit helps improve the digestive health and prevents one from having constipation, bloating and cramps.
- Supports healthy vision: This fruit contains a carotenoid called the zeaxanthin, which is connected directly to the reduction in oxidative stress on certain ocular cells, including the retina of the eye. It further prevents damage to the retina caused by free radicals.
These are a few health benefits of Mulberry (Shahtoot) fruit! Zizira is now inclined towards traditional remedies that regenerate health and the land. Join us on this journey of discovering ancient plants, how they heal us and the team who are creating quality products right from the unique corner of India. Do you know of any useful benefit of Mulberry fruit? Would love to hear from you. Share it with us in the comment section below.