It is never fun to be in a situation where you have been suffering from a persistent cough. Coughs, although may not be a serious ailment, can just be terribly uncomfortable, both physically and when you are around people. While it may be necessary to take a cough suppressing medicines, but often, simple substances in the kitchen might help you deal with a cough.
The tribes in Meghalaya have been using black pepper, honey, turmeric and ginger as natural home remedies for generations to heal ourselves from these ailments. For them, using turmeric and honey for cough is by default.
Why are we mentioning Meghalaya? That is where Zizira, a food product company operates from and we source spices and herbs directly from the farmers we work with.
Read our story – how our conscious business is making a difference to the community of farmers of our state Meghalaya, in the Northeast corner of India.
Let me share with you 6 natural home remedies that you can use to treat yourself from cough and cold.
Easy to Make Home Remedies for Cough:
- Turmeric Milk: A traditional and easy remedy for cough is a hot milk with turmeric. This traditional beverage has antibacterial properties that help relieve and heal a sore throat and cough. Heat a glass of milk, mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and serve it warm.
- Turmeric and Honey for Cough: Making tea with turmeric and honey is a home remedy that is especially good for a dry cough. Take 2 cups of fresh water and add 1 ½ teaspoon of turmeric, bring it to boil. Strain it and pour it into a cup and mix 1 teaspoon of pure honey and serve it warm.
- Honey with lemon juice: Honey calms and soothes an irritated throat and its antibacterial properties help to protect the throat from further infection. Take a glass of warm water, squeeze in half a lemon and mix it. Then add 1 teaspoon of honey into the mixture and stir. Drink the mixture right after it's made.
- Honey and pepper drink: Black pepper is mostly used for culinary purposes, but it can also be used as a remedy for cough. The antibacterial property of the honey is an added bonus. Honey also makes the pepper mild for the throat. Take a glass of hot water, and add 1 teaspoon of ground pepper to it. Add 1 teaspoon of honey and stir the mixture and let the pepper flakes disperse entirely. Steep it for 5 minutes and drink it warm.
- Ginger Long Pepper Syrup: Here you get the soothing qualities of warming ginger, all wrapped up in a delicious and easy to swallow cough syrup. It will also help relieve the irritating tickle of a cough. Chop a medium sized piece of ginger and add it in 2 cups of water along with 1 teaspoon of ground long pepper. Bring the water to boil and let it simmer until half. Strain and when a bit cool add 1 cup of honey and store in a refrigerator. You can use it for up to 3 weeks.
- Spicy hot soup: Spicy hot soups are perfect and soothing for the throat and particularly relieves a cough that is accompanied by cold and flu. A bowl of chicken soup with spicy ingredients such as onion, ginger, garlic, and black pepper can do the trick. Drinking soup will also increase your hydration level.
These are some easy home remedies for a cough that you can try at home! Turmeric and honey for cough is a good option, but, as you can see, ginger, black pepper and long pepper help too.
Do you know of any quick and easy cough remedy?
Share it with us in the comment section below. Would love to hear from you!