Have you heard essential oil extracted from the leaves of a cedar tree is filled with elements beneficial to your health and wellbeing! Many people will be familiar enough with Cedar oil for its aromatic qualities. But there is much more to cedar oil beyond its aromatherapy benefits. It is surprising how this essential oil contains astringent, diuretic, antifungal, antifungal, antiseptic and soothing properties. It also helps improve your skin, help with body functions, tightens the muscles and improves the metabolism of the body.
What is Cedar Essential Oil?
This essential oil is extracted through the process of steam distillation from the leaves of the cedar tree. Its major components alpha-cedrane, beta-cedrane, cedrol, thujopdene and a group of sesquiterpenes, all these contribute a great deal to the health benefits.
Fun fact: Cedar tree species are innate to cold climates and is normally found at high altitudes.
7 Health Benefits of Cedar Essential Oil:
- Helps cure Eczema: Eczema, is a skin disease that causes dryness, redness, irritation and causes blisters on the skin. A common disease that can be cured with the help of this essential oil. Apply a mixture of the cedar oil with another carrier (coconut) oil or skin lotion. Rub the mixture on the affected areas to help reduce the inflammation and infection.
- Helps with hair loss: It helps to clean clogged hair follicles, heal it and increase circulation to the scalp. This helps in new hair growth and reduces hair loss. Herbal practitioners usually recommend cedar oil for treatment of hair loss, hair thinning and alopecia. You can use cedar essential by blending it with lavender essential oil or carrier oil and apply it to the hair scalp. You can also add cedar oil to shampoos or conditioners; apply it to your hair and rinse it off.
- Helps with dry scalp: Dry scalp is the reason for dandruff in our hairs! It is a good remedy for reducing dryness and flakiness of the scalp. As it helps to stimulate the scalp and increase blood circulation. So why wait? Use the goodness of cedar essential oil by mixing the essential oil with jojoba oil. Apply the mixture on your hair scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then rinse it off with cold water.
- Helps build immunity: Application of this essential oil to your skin can help protect the body against contaminants and helps stimulate a healthy immune system. Rubbing a mixture of the oil with lotion on infected areas, wounds or scars helps to heal.
- Helps reduce arthritis pain: It can also help relieve the inflammation and discomfort of joint pain. It helps reduce the stiffness of joint muscles. You can apply and massage the affected areas or add 3 to 6 drops of cedar essential oil in your bath water.
- Helps tighten the muscles: It acts as a natural astringent. It helps to tighten skin muscles, leaving them soft and firm. Take 3 to 4 drops of cedar essential oil and mix it with cold-pressed perilla seed oil and massage any part of the skin, and leave it for 15 minutes and rinse it off. You will feel a soothing and fresh sensation.
- Helps act as a diuretic: It acts as a natural diuretic. Application of cedar essential oil externally on your abdominal areas may increase the regularity of urination and thus helps remove harmful toxins and excess water from the body.
These are a few health benefits associated with cedar essential oil. To enjoy the health benefits associated with cedar oil, you can start by trying out our cedar essential oil from our range of natural essential oils.
Note: Cedar essential oil is not recommended at any dilution for small children under the age of 4.
DIY Cedar Essential Oil Recipe
Aromatic Cedar Candles: These aromatic candles are an absolute delight! The sweet woody aroma of cedar essential oil relieves anxiety and induces relaxation. Cedar candles are widely used for aromatherapy. You can make them yourself and use them too! Follow this recipe and bring the fragrance of fresh cedar into your home.
Requirements: Beeswax, cedar oil, candle wicks, clean tin cans, wooden spoon, and pot.
- Start by heating some water in the pot and bringing it to boil. Place the beeswax in a tin and place it in the pot of boiling water and let the beeswax melt.
- While you wait for the wax to melt, cut the wick to the height of the tin cans.
- When the wax has melted, add 5 -10 drops of Cedar Oil to it. You can increase the amount of essential oil content as per the amount of wax used. Stir it well using a wooden spoon.
- Add a few drops of oil around each tin can and hold a wick in such a way that the lower part is touching the base of the can and the top part is in the center of the tin, just above the top.
- Pour the mixed wax into the prepared can. Hold the wick as you pour the wax. Allow it to cool and harden.
- Your DIY Aromatic Cedar Candle is ready.
Note: Please use gloves and handle with care.